Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro bad odor

Hello all, I have recently received a Mac pro a1186 of eBay. I turned it in for the first time and it stinks, I have done some research and apparently it was a problem. As I probably can't bring it in to an apple store because if how old it is (and the coronavirus) Is there any way to get rid of the odor myself without bringing it to a repair store, the odor seems to come near the back of the Mac pro, it's tricky to tell you what it smells of. Maybe something to do with the PSU? Any help would be appreciated.

Mac Pro

Posted on Apr 6, 2020 4:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2020 9:37 AM

The approved method for cleaning out dust etc is to move the 42 lb silver tower to a place where dust is a "don't care", and blast the dust up and out of the Mac with shots of compressed air.

All pluggable modules feature a "gas-tight" connection, so there is no way you can drive dust Into anywhere that will cause damage. Do not spin the fans in an unrelenting manner, or bearing damage is possible.

There are fans in the power supply as well, and these may need special attention.

DO NOT use a home vacuum cleaner for this task, as its plastic wands can generate electronics-killing static charges long before you feel the Zap of a static discharge.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 6, 2020 9:37 AM in response to Benwkl

The approved method for cleaning out dust etc is to move the 42 lb silver tower to a place where dust is a "don't care", and blast the dust up and out of the Mac with shots of compressed air.

All pluggable modules feature a "gas-tight" connection, so there is no way you can drive dust Into anywhere that will cause damage. Do not spin the fans in an unrelenting manner, or bearing damage is possible.

There are fans in the power supply as well, and these may need special attention.

DO NOT use a home vacuum cleaner for this task, as its plastic wands can generate electronics-killing static charges long before you feel the Zap of a static discharge.

Mac Pro bad odor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.