Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding names in Photos

When I add a name to a photo and hit "Return", I can't position the circle over the face because a small version of the entire picture moves with my cursor.

I read two articles: "Cannot move the 'Click to Name' circle...", and Old Toad's reply. I hesitate to try the "safe mode" strategy because I worry it will mess with my fonts, etc.

iMac 27″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Apr 3, 2023 6:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2023 11:38 PM

when you cannot adjust the faces circle, two things usually may help.

• enter the name, where the circle currently is, then drag it to the correct position.
  • or click first some where outside the circle into the background, then try to adjust the faces circle.

if none of this works, restart the mac. If even a normal restart does not work, use safe mode. It will clear some caches. Then restart normally. Photos does not work fully in safe mode.

You mention custom fonts. check your fonts carefully, if they are still compatible with Ventura. Legacy fonts may be causing system problems. Install only fonts, that are supported and try to find supported versions of older fonts.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 3, 2023 11:38 PM in response to phidgety

when you cannot adjust the faces circle, two things usually may help.

• enter the name, where the circle currently is, then drag it to the correct position.
  • or click first some where outside the circle into the background, then try to adjust the faces circle.

if none of this works, restart the mac. If even a normal restart does not work, use safe mode. It will clear some caches. Then restart normally. Photos does not work fully in safe mode.

You mention custom fonts. check your fonts carefully, if they are still compatible with Ventura. Legacy fonts may be causing system problems. Install only fonts, that are supported and try to find supported versions of older fonts.

Apr 5, 2023 11:56 AM in response to léonie

Thanks leonie,

I first tried "zapping the PRAM", and it worked.

On just a couple occasions I got the old problem of a tiny version of the photo moving with my cursor. In that case I took your advice about clicking outside the circle and I was then able to move the circle.

I'm saving your directions on using safe mode, I found all my fonts are compatible with Ventura.

Thanks again !

Adding names in Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.