Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Password not accepted, anyone else?

Macbook Air with monterey. Two admin accounts on the computer.

After a restart the first account would not accept its password. I typed it 50 times. There was no cap lock or anything silly. I logged into the second account and typed the password for the first account into a text document and there were no sticky keys or anything.

Went back to log into the first account and typed the password another 20 times. Next morning I typed the password again and the second time it logged me in. It seems to be back to normal now.

I would still welcome any suggestions regarding this problem as I could be stuck in an airport or hotel if it ever happens again.

Thanks,

MacBook Air (M2, 2022)

Posted on Apr 5, 2023 6:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2023 10:50 AM

While supporting our organization's thousands of Macs, I have encountered password issues when attempting to log in. Usually the systems I'm working with have some sort of hardware issue, but I have encountered the same thing where I try multiple passwords and suddenly a password I tried several times before now magically is accepted. I can accept the fact that I may accidentally mistype it once in a while or miss having the Caps Lock enabled, but certainly not after making multiple attempts. I have never been able to discover a reason, but it is very annoying when I have dozens of possible passwords to try....at least you only have one password it could be.

If this keeps happening, then you may need to deal with it, but if it is only this one time, then I would ignore it. When I've encountered the issue, it doesn't occur again.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 6, 2023 10:50 AM in response to oxcart

While supporting our organization's thousands of Macs, I have encountered password issues when attempting to log in. Usually the systems I'm working with have some sort of hardware issue, but I have encountered the same thing where I try multiple passwords and suddenly a password I tried several times before now magically is accepted. I can accept the fact that I may accidentally mistype it once in a while or miss having the Caps Lock enabled, but certainly not after making multiple attempts. I have never been able to discover a reason, but it is very annoying when I have dozens of possible passwords to try....at least you only have one password it could be.

If this keeps happening, then you may need to deal with it, but if it is only this one time, then I would ignore it. When I've encountered the issue, it doesn't occur again.

Password not accepted, anyone else?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.