Bluetooth connection with MacBook Pro and iPad Pro

When trying to connect my MacBook Pro with my iPad Pro through Bluetooth the iPad says the MacBook is not supported? What’s the deal?

iPad Pro (1st generation)

Posted on Apr 5, 2023 7:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2023 8:06 AM

Direct connection over bluetooth between Macs and iPhones and iPads is not supported.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish by pairing them?

Most things that require Bluetooth between the Mac and the iPad do not require direct pairing of the devices. Only that Bluetooth be turned on, on both devices.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 5, 2023 8:06 AM in response to Giancarloskiavo1

Direct connection over bluetooth between Macs and iPhones and iPads is not supported.

Most things that require Bluetooth between the Mac and the iPad do not require direct pairing of the devices. Only that Bluetooth be turned on, on both devices.

Apr 6, 2023 8:04 AM in response to Giancarloskiavo1

Giancarloskiavo1 wrote:

Thanks for the info Phil. I had no idea that Bluetooth between Macs and iPhones and iPads was not supported.

Not what I said. Bluetooth is supported, for many features and connections between a Mac and an iPad. Direct pairing over bluetooth is not, except for Personal Hotspot.

My internet was down and was trying to connect my Mac to the iPad to use its internet. Hotspot was not working either. Matching codes came up a couple of times but never connected. Unsuccessful pairing kept coming up on the iPad saying the MacBook was not supported 🤷‍♂️ had no idea that they were not compatible… who knew… don’t really understand why but oh well… that’s a question for Apple. Thanks again.

For personal hotspot over bluetooth, you needed to turn on Personal hotspot first in Settings on your iPad, and then try to pair them.

click here ➜ How to set up a Personal Hotspot on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

With that said, you don't need to sue bluetooth for personal hotspot, it can be done over Wifi which is generally a much better alternative than bluetooth.

click here ➜ If Personal Hotspot is not working on your iPhone or iPad (Wi-Fi + Cellular) - Apple Support

May 18, 2023 2:59 PM in response to JuozasLT

The question would then be, what exactly are you doing on the MacBook Air to play the music from the iPad on it?

If using AirPlay, then what happens when you try to play to the MacBook Pro exactly?

Does it not appear in the AirPlay menu on the iPad as an option?

Does it appear, but cannot be heard when the MacBook Pro is selected?

Does it issue an error?

Just saying not does not work, is not very helpful.

Explain what you are doing, and what exactly happens when you try to play the music.

May 6, 2024 7:52 AM in response to Azulman

Azulman wrote:

My iPad and iPhone recognize each other but I can’t get either of them to recognize my MacBook Air. And the MacBook Air won’t connect to those devices. All bluetooths are on

As mentioned previously:

What are you trying to accomplish by connecting them?

Apr 5, 2023 11:44 AM in response to Phil0124

Thanks for the info Phil. I had no idea that Bluetooth between Macs and iPhones and iPads was not supported. My internet was down and was trying to connect my Mac to the iPad to use its internet. Hotspot was not working either. Matching codes came up a couple of times but never connected. Unsuccessful pairing kept coming up on the iPad saying the MacBook was not supported 🤷‍♂️ had no idea that they were not compatible… who knew… don’t really understand why but oh well… that’s a question for Apple. Thanks again.

Bluetooth connection with MacBook Pro and iPad Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.