Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OS X Tiger (10.4.11) and AirPrint nowadays

Hi,

I have a still well-working MacBook running Mac OS X 10.4.11, i.e. Tiger. I have the need to get a new printer (network-based), and the one I'm interested in supports (only) AirPrint for Mac. Which is only good, IF I could have the AirPrint support on my Mac.

There has been this discussion related to my kind of an issue, but since it's 10-11 years later now, it seems I cannot locate a site, from where I could get a package, that I could install on my Mac, in order to make it AirPrint supportive.

Might someone here be able to help me with this problem of mine?

Kalevi

Posted on Apr 6, 2023 4:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2023 8:32 AM

Hi,

Unfortunately, the earliest operating system that had support for AirPrint was Mac OS X 10.7 Lion.

As you know, AirPrint refers to Apple's driverless AirPrint technology. That is, not to wireless printing in general (sometimes, AirPrint is confused with AirPort). AirPrint works with wireless (Wi-Fi) or wired (Ethernet) network connections.

There are some AirPrint printer servers (see also About AirPrint - Apple Support), but apart from the fact that these are rather expensive, they are intended for situations where a printer model is not AirPrint-compatible, which is not the case here.

So, if you wish to use AirPrint with an AirPrint-enabled printer, a more modern Mac operating system would be needed. If necessary, you could of course print from an iPad or an iPhone. Do you have access to a newer Mac as well?

There may be other solutions without AirPrint. In case printer drivers for Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger are not available for your chosen network printer model, one should perhaps not rule out the possibility of using a generic PostScript or PCL driver (or a printer driver for another similar printer).

Which exact printer model are you interested in?

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 6, 2023 8:32 AM in response to jiihaa

Hi,

Unfortunately, the earliest operating system that had support for AirPrint was Mac OS X 10.7 Lion.

As you know, AirPrint refers to Apple's driverless AirPrint technology. That is, not to wireless printing in general (sometimes, AirPrint is confused with AirPort). AirPrint works with wireless (Wi-Fi) or wired (Ethernet) network connections.

There are some AirPrint printer servers (see also About AirPrint - Apple Support), but apart from the fact that these are rather expensive, they are intended for situations where a printer model is not AirPrint-compatible, which is not the case here.

So, if you wish to use AirPrint with an AirPrint-enabled printer, a more modern Mac operating system would be needed. If necessary, you could of course print from an iPad or an iPhone. Do you have access to a newer Mac as well?

There may be other solutions without AirPrint. In case printer drivers for Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger are not available for your chosen network printer model, one should perhaps not rule out the possibility of using a generic PostScript or PCL driver (or a printer driver for another similar printer).

Which exact printer model are you interested in?

Apr 7, 2023 6:39 AM in response to jiihaa

Hello again,

Thank you for the information.

According to the specifications at https://www.lexmark.com/en_us/printer/15571/Lexmark-MS431dn, the Lexmark MS431dn has PostScript 3 Emulation as standard, so it may be well worth investigating whether a Generic PostScript Printer driver (check the Mac OS X printer dialogue) could be used on the Mac OS X 10.4.11 Mac.

The printer connection would be Ethernet to one of the LAN ports of your home Wi-Fi router. It should then be possible to print wirelessly (Wi-Fi) or wired (Ethernet) from all computers, as well as wirelessly (Wi-Fi) from the iPhones. The iPhones would use AirPrint (Use AirPrint to print from your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support).

Apr 7, 2023 3:42 AM in response to Jan Hedlund

Hi,

Thanks for a quick response to my question! The printer I'm interested in, is Lexmark MS431dn. Our household does have a mix-up of both Windows and Mac computers, and this Mac (the only Apple computer we currently have, although both of us have iPhones also) that is in question here, is the one that my wife uses a lot for writing, and so it's pretty essential that she would be able to print directly from her Mac. The PostScript option is actually what I use with our current printer (Lexmark E120n), and this surely would also be a practical choice, if this might work.

Mac OS X Tiger (10.4.11) and AirPrint nowadays

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.