Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reaction emojis for Apple email

I want to add the reaction “HA HA” emoji to the emojis selection list in Apple email. So far I am unable to find the words “HA HA” in any of the available emojis. Is there a way to do this when composing an Apple email?

iPad, iOS 9

Posted on Apr 6, 2023 7:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2023 8:13 AM

Mfunsten wrote:

So are you saying the Apple “HA HA” reaction emoji is not an emoji?

IdrisSeabright is correct. That’s not an emoji.

The Emojis are available from the Emoji keyboard; in the Emoji picker.

The reactions images and animations over in Messages are not that; not Emojis.

Here? You can embed an image of whatever you want in a mail message, of course.

Emoji picker looks like this on recent iPadOS (you’re on a very old version and where the picker will look different:

And inserting an image into mail (and here showing how to select which size, after having tapped the image insert tool and selected a photo) using iPadOS 16:

If you’d like Messages-like reactions added to Mail, send Apple feedback: Product Feedback - Apple

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 6, 2023 8:13 AM in response to Mfunsten

Mfunsten wrote:

So are you saying the Apple “HA HA” reaction emoji is not an emoji?

IdrisSeabright is correct. That’s not an emoji.

The Emojis are available from the Emoji keyboard; in the Emoji picker.

The reactions images and animations over in Messages are not that; not Emojis.

Here? You can embed an image of whatever you want in a mail message, of course.

Emoji picker looks like this on recent iPadOS (you’re on a very old version and where the picker will look different:

And inserting an image into mail (and here showing how to select which size, after having tapped the image insert tool and selected a photo) using iPadOS 16:

If you’d like Messages-like reactions added to Mail, send Apple feedback: Product Feedback - Apple

Apr 6, 2023 8:06 AM in response to Mfunsten

I’m saying that the available emojis are determined by Unicode - not Apple.

That said, the graphic associated with each standard Unicode emoji may stylistically differ between OS platforms and device manufacturers - i.e., the picture/graphic may appear different between different devices and OS platforms.

Unicode is just one set of standards to which computer Operating Systems will comply.

The custom Apple-specific animations that you can use with iMessage are not emojis. These graphics are Apple-proprietary - and used only between users of Apple devices using the iMessage service.

I hope this clarification helps with understanding the fundamental differences between emojis and system-proprietary features.

Reaction emojis for Apple email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.