Red Microphone icon stuck on MacBook screen

So I read a previous solution for this problem from 2021 which directed one to go to Accessibility and turn off Voice Control. However, mine is already turned off. Yet, this red microphone icon will not go away. Any help is appreciated.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro (M2 Max, 2023)

Posted on Apr 6, 2023 7:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 19, 2023 5:09 AM

I have a logitech keyboard with that icon on it (F9) and when I press it, that icon appears in the corner as in your image, pressing it again hides it. This resolves this problem for me :)

From what I can see, there's no easy way to mute your microphone and my logitech MX Keys Mini for Mac keyboard has this function available at F9. I haven't checked other keyboards, so it may be assigned to another key on your keyboard or maybe it's visible on new mac keyboards - the icon is the same, so search for it and give it a try.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 19, 2023 5:09 AM in response to Javarican

I have a logitech keyboard with that icon on it (F9) and when I press it, that icon appears in the corner as in your image, pressing it again hides it. This resolves this problem for me :)

From what I can see, there's no easy way to mute your microphone and my logitech MX Keys Mini for Mac keyboard has this function available at F9. I haven't checked other keyboards, so it may be assigned to another key on your keyboard or maybe it's visible on new mac keyboards - the icon is the same, so search for it and give it a try.

Apr 6, 2023 8:11 PM in response to Javarican

"Red Microphone Icon upper right hand corner MacBook: So I read a previous solution for this problem from 2021 which directed one to go to Accessibility and turn off Voice Control. However, mine is already turned off. Yet, this red microphone icon will not go away. Any help is appreciated."

-------

Thank you for the screenshot.

Troubleshooting Mac Microphone:

Three Things to Try:

A. Verify the Connection:

See if the Microphone is even seen: 

1. Hold Down: the Option key
  2. Click: the Apple menu
  3. Select:: System Information
  4. Select: Audio (on the left of screen)
  5. Look For: MacBook Pro Microphone

B. Try Reseting the Core Audio:

Type the following command in Terminal:

sudo killall coreaudiod

Red Microphone icon stuck on MacBook screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.