You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

studio display not working properly after 16.4 firmware update

My Studio Display is connected to a 2019 27" iMac and since the recent firmware update (16.4), the connection between the display and iMac is unstable and often stops working. Also the camera suddenly 'disappears' and cannot be selected anymore.

After a restart everything works again but most of the time only for a couple of minutes.

Any suggestions / same experiences??

Thanks

Studio Display

Posted on Apr 7, 2023 2:44 AM

Similar questions

10 replies

Jul 19, 2023 1:28 AM in response to Wonderwater

I had the same issue as you, as mentioned below. I tried everything, and the only thing that worked was removing the cable from my MBP and plugging back in. But after every sleep, it would start again.

It looks like I might have done the whole switch screen-off thing wrong. Cos, I did it a little differently and now have no issues.

1. First, remove the cable from the MBP.
  2. Then, unplug the monitor from the plug socket.
  3. Leave for 5 minutes (make a coffee).
  4. Plug the monitor back into the plug socket. Leave for 30 seconds; some dots should appear.
  5. Then, plug it back into the MBP.

I was doing the above but leaving the cable plugged into the MBP, which did nothing. But removing it first seems to work. Maybe the screen gets a little power from the MBP.

May 24, 2023 11:01 AM in response to Wonderwater

Yesterday 5/23 I exchanged my Studio Display for another one. The defective display was powered up for the first time on Friday 5/19 with my new Mac Studio. On Saturday 5/20 I discovered that the display would not wake up after pressing a key on the Magic Keyboard. I verified that the Mac Studio was awake because pressing the play/pause key on the keyboard would start playing music from my library.

After a couple of support chat sessions that failed to resolve the issue, I decided the problem must be with the Studio Display itself and 5/23 was the last day of the 14 day return period (the Mac Studio was not delivered until Thursday 5/18 but I picked up the Studio Display on 5/9).

The replacement Studio Display is working perfectly. However there is now a Software Update notification that a Apple Studio Display firmware update to version 16.4 is available.

When I first powered up my new Mac Studio on Friday 5/19 there was a Mac OS update that executed successfully. I don't remember if there was also a firmware update executed for the Studio Display and I never took note of the firmware version of the Studio Display that I returned for the exchange.

The firmware version of the replacement Studio Display I have now is 15.5.

I am terrified of executing the firmware update because I suspect that is the cause of the problem with the Studio Display that I returned for the exchange.

I am curious if anyone else is having a similar problem with version 16.4.

studio display not working properly after 16.4 firmware update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.