Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Images using stylized transitions.

I am trying to build a slide show using a bunch of random photos that are a mix of various sizes and aspect ratios. When adding the stylized transitions I end up with full screen images with black edges next to the portrait versions. How can I make those transparent?

iMac 27″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Apr 8, 2023 2:37 PM

9 replies

Apr 8, 2023 3:19 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Tom it is the entire video. The images are narrow portrait aspect ratio and as they come from off screen to full screen. They have the black sides showing and when the image goes full screen it has the black sides as well.

I would have hoped the sides would transparent so I could see blurred images or something. Maybe I am using the wrong application for this.

The look I am going for is something like this.

https://youtu.be/1kVWH60V8sA

What I am getting is this.

https://vimeo.com/815922957/c014d1a752

You can use Pan Far Right to test but all I have tested has the same issue.

Apr 8, 2023 4:30 PM in response to BuddysDad

There may well be a third party plugin that will produce the effect you want. It can be done in FCP, but it’s pretty complicated. You’d have to create a vertical project and put the clips you want to transition into it. Apply the stylized transition to the clips. Combined the clips and the transition into a compound clip. You can then use that compound clip from the browser, with the correct display, in a standard widescreen project. There might also be a way to modify the stylized transition in Motion to act as you would like, but I don’t know about that.

Apr 8, 2023 4:37 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

OK Thanks Tom. I am just coming over from Premiere after 12 years so trying to get up to speed with FCP.

I have the plugin in the link I sent but its not without issues either. I would think I could do it manually with keyframes but thats a lot of work with 150 images in a slide show. Apparently apple intends those stylized transitions for only square images?

Thanks again.

Images using stylized transitions.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.