Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

private relay email

Hi guys,

How do I retrieve an email sent by an app using private relay ID.

iPhone SE, iOS 16

Posted on Apr 10, 2023 9:07 AM

1 reply

Apr 11, 2023 2:40 PM in response to Preciousdee

Hello Preciousdee,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. 

We understand that you’re asking about Private Relay, but it sounds like you have used Hide My Email.

Private Relay hides your IP address when using Safari. Here’s additional information on Private Relay: About iCloud Private Relay - Apple Support

"How Private Relay works

Normally when you browse the web, information contained in your web traffic, such as your DNS records and IP address, can be seen by your network provider and the websites you visit. This information could be used to determine your identity and build a profile of your location and browsing history over time. iCloud Private Relay is designed to protect your privacy by ensuring that when you browse the web in Safari, no single party — not even Apple — can see both who you are and what sites you're visiting.

When Private Relay is enabled, your requests are sent through two separate, secure internet relays. Your IP address is visible to your network provider and to the first relay, which is operated by Apple. Your DNS records are encrypted, so neither party can see the address of the website you’re trying to visit. The second relay, which is operated by a third-party content provider, generates a temporary IP address, decrypts the name of the website you requested, and connects you to the site. All of this is done using the latest internet standards to maintain a high-performance browsing experience while protecting your privacy.

If you don’t want to provide your email to websites or apps, you can use Hide My Email which will provide a random email address to the website or app. The emails from that website or app will go to your iCloud email."

Here’s more about Hide My Email: What is Hide My Email? - Apple Support

"How Hide My Email works 

Hide My Email generates unique, random email addresses that automatically forward to your personal inbox. Each address is unique to you. You can read and respond directly to emails sent to these addresses and your personal email address is kept private.

• If you create an account with an app or visit a website that supports Sign in with Apple, you can choose to share your email address, if you're familiar with the app or website, or hide your email address, if you'd prefer more privacy. If you choose the Hide my Email option, only the app or website you created the account with can use this random email address to communicate with you. Learn more about Sign in with Apple
  • With an iCloud+ subscription, you can generate unique, random addresses on your device with iOS 15, iPadOS 15, or macOS Monterey or later in any email field in Safari. You can also generate email addresses on-demand in the Settings app in iOS or iPadOS, in System Settings or System Preferences in macOS, in the Mail app, or on iCloud.com. In iOS 16 or iPadOS 16 or later, you can also keep your email address private in third-party apps. Learn more about iCloud+

At any time, you can change the email address that receives forwarded messages. Or you can choose to turn off email forwarding to stop receiving messages. You can manage your addresses created with Hide My Email in Settings in iOS or iPadOS, System Settings or System Preferences in macOS, or on iCloud.com."

Let us know if you have further questions.

Take care.

private relay email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.