Random periods

I'm quoting from a previous user with the same issue: "I've been experiencing an issue whenever . I type . on my . macbook pro--random . periods . show up between words and sometimes new . sentences . start". This is the help that was offered that was useful at that time to that user:

Apple menu > System Preferences > Keyboard > Text (at top of preference window) > Add Period with double-space.

However, that user posted in 2019 and my issue has only recently arisen in 2023. Running Ventura 13.2.1. My "system preferences" are now "system settings" and clicking on them gives a different box with no "text" at the top of the keyboard page. Therefore, I'm having trouble applying the help that was provided for the use in 2019 because I'm not seeing any reference to options for periods.

Suggestions, please?

Posted on Apr 12, 2023 4:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2023 4:03 PM

Hey there bjgwil,

We'd like to help by learning more about what's happening, along with ruling out some possible causes:

1. When did this start to occur?
  2. Does this only happen when using a specific app? In other words, did you find anything to be common when the issue does occur?
  3. Sometimes unexpected behavior can be resolved with a restart. Check out the section ‘Restart your Mac' here: Shut down or restart your Mac
  4. You mentioned macOS 13.2.1 was installed, but the latest version is macOS 13.3.1. You can verify this by clicking on the Apple logo at the top left corner of the screen, then on ‘About This Mac’. In case you needed it, this link shows how to first back up, then Update macOS on Mac.

Cheers!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 14, 2023 4:03 PM in response to bjgwil

Hey there bjgwil,

We'd like to help by learning more about what's happening, along with ruling out some possible causes:

1. When did this start to occur?
  2. Does this only happen when using a specific app? In other words, did you find anything to be common when the issue does occur?
  3. Sometimes unexpected behavior can be resolved with a restart. Check out the section ‘Restart your Mac' here: Shut down or restart your Mac
  4. You mentioned macOS 13.2.1 was installed, but the latest version is macOS 13.3.1. You can verify this by clicking on the Apple logo at the top left corner of the screen, then on ‘About This Mac’. In case you needed it, this link shows how to first back up, then Update macOS on Mac.

Cheers!

Apr 16, 2023 4:34 PM in response to bruno75

Thank you! I updated the OS. Was a bit annoyed with that because, in the past, I've had a directive for the OS to be automatically updated. A few things appear to have changed of late and not automatically updating my OS is one of them. But I digress.

I updated and the systems restarted as part of that. Haven't noticed the random periods at all since then. So thank you very much.

B

Random periods

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.