Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dropped iPhone 7 on Concrete Multiple times now Screen has an unresponsive area and home button wont work

I Kept Dropping my iPhone 7 on concrete because iPhones are slippery and i dropped it enough that it restarted and now there are differently colored vertical lines and a "Dead Spot" In the center of the screen and my home button wont work but luckily i turned on the virtual home button, what can i do Without wiping my Phone?

iPhone 7, iOS 15

Posted on Apr 12, 2023 7:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2023 1:11 PM

Pyth0n1q3eDaReal wrote:
Windows 10, 22H2. Home edition, I backed up with iTunes

OK - that's good. Windows is a little bit tricky because there are so many little things to take care of to directly access data on an Apple device. You've probably already "trusted" your PC, but it may ask for that again.

In Windows Explorer you can find it under something like This PC > Apple iPhone > Internal Storage. Under there you'll see a directory called DCIM, which is an industry standard directory for digital camera images. I used to see that a lot with my Canon digital cameras. Under there you'll see lots of subdirectories named for each month, such as "202304_". The various image, video, and helper files should be visible in each subdirectory. You can literally drag the entire DCIM directory into a place you wish to store all your photos and video where you can archive and view them independently of your iPhone. It's kind of clunky, but that could be a way you could access your photos if your iPhone completely fails and you have no way of transferring your backup to another Apple device.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 13, 2023 1:11 PM in response to Pyth0n1q3eDaReal

Pyth0n1q3eDaReal wrote:
Windows 10, 22H2. Home edition, I backed up with iTunes

OK - that's good. Windows is a little bit tricky because there are so many little things to take care of to directly access data on an Apple device. You've probably already "trusted" your PC, but it may ask for that again.

In Windows Explorer you can find it under something like This PC > Apple iPhone > Internal Storage. Under there you'll see a directory called DCIM, which is an industry standard directory for digital camera images. I used to see that a lot with my Canon digital cameras. Under there you'll see lots of subdirectories named for each month, such as "202304_". The various image, video, and helper files should be visible in each subdirectory. You can literally drag the entire DCIM directory into a place you wish to store all your photos and video where you can archive and view them independently of your iPhone. It's kind of clunky, but that could be a way you could access your photos if your iPhone completely fails and you have no way of transferring your backup to another Apple device.

Apr 12, 2023 7:47 PM in response to Pyth0n1q3eDaReal

See if you can back it up to a computer to make sure that your data is saved. If it's gone through that kind of shock, there is the chance that it could completely fail at any time. I've seen it with other devices where it sort of worked, but could then show all sorts of things like vertical lines, a faded backlight, etc.

At this point I would think it's not terribly cost effective to pay Apple for a replacement. If you can get a replacement (I think the new SE is a pretty good bargain) that would work.

Apr 12, 2023 10:22 PM in response to Pyth0n1q3eDaReal

Pyth0n1q3eDaReal wrote:
Ok, I am currently backing up my iPhone right now, the reason I do not want to reset is cause I have thousands of pictures and I can’t get them on iCloud cause they need More than five Gb, And I am literally broke.

Sure. Be sure to back it up because all those photos are probably more important to you than trying to save the phone hardware. At this point the best thing you can do is save the backup and then use that to restore your data to a new iPhone. I think technically you should be able to restore all that to iPad . Some might do that just in order to get access to the photos if an iPad might be cheaper.

Apr 13, 2023 8:14 AM in response to Pyth0n1q3eDaReal

Pyth0n1q3eDaReal wrote:
bruh I’m literally broke I have no money. How do you expect me to get an iPad with no money

I wasn't aware of your financial situation. However, there’s really not much you can do other than back up your data often and use that.

There are ways to save your photos and video to a computer so at least they’re archived.

Apr 13, 2023 10:44 AM in response to Pyth0n1q3eDaReal

Pyth0n1q3eDaReal wrote:
Ok, Sorry for getting snarky

No worries. I know what it’s like when money is tight but with damaged electronics. I made do with what I had an backed up my photos, which I considered priceless.

I personally had an iPad mini 4 that was damaged, operating with oddball behavior, and that could lose Wi-Fi or even go batty (like just showing vertical lines) at random times. And I didn’t have the budget to replace it until last year. But I was still using it and making sure that it was backed up to my old Mac via standard backup and where I archived the camera roll photos/video using Image Capture.

If you have a computer or someone you trust with a computer, you can make a backup that can restore your data to an Apple device in the future. And you can save the Camera Roll items separately where they can be accessed. You mentioned a computer. Mac or PC? With a Mac you can drag and drop using Image Capture where it copy to where you drag. With a PC there’s the option to copy over the entire directory where photos and videos are stored.

Dropped iPhone 7 on Concrete Multiple times now Screen has an unresponsive area and home button wont work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.