My MacBook Air M2 cursor jumps diagonally

Hi, on my MacBook Air M2 (12.6.4), the cursor jumps diagonally every minute or so

This occurs on both trackpad and bluetooth mouse. I've tried to list all 3rd party extensions in terminal using:

kextstat -l | grep -v com.apple

But it doesn't reveal anything

Is there something else I could try?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Air (M2, 2022)

Posted on Apr 13, 2023 2:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2023 9:58 AM

Disconnect all external devices in case one of them is causing a problem.

Boot into Safe Mode to see if you still have the issue. If you still have the issue while booted into Safe Mode with no external devices connected (even bluetooth keyboard, mouse, trackpad), then most likely there is a hardware issue with the laptop which will need repaired (most likely the built-in Trackpad). At this point about the only other thing that you can try is to "Restore" the firmware which destroys all data on the internal SSD, resets the firmware & pushes a clean OS to the internal SSD. If the issue occurs after this and before migrating/restoring from a backup, then there is definitely a hardware issue which will need repaired.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 14, 2023 9:58 AM in response to friendlygiraffe

Disconnect all external devices in case one of them is causing a problem.

Boot into Safe Mode to see if you still have the issue. If you still have the issue while booted into Safe Mode with no external devices connected (even bluetooth keyboard, mouse, trackpad), then most likely there is a hardware issue with the laptop which will need repaired (most likely the built-in Trackpad). At this point about the only other thing that you can try is to "Restore" the firmware which destroys all data on the internal SSD, resets the firmware & pushes a clean OS to the internal SSD. If the issue occurs after this and before migrating/restoring from a backup, then there is definitely a hardware issue which will need repaired.

My MacBook Air M2 cursor jumps diagonally

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.