AirPods battery drains quickly

Recently received gift, brand new AirPods in genuine Apple packaging. Have yet to be able to use them when I want to because the battery is always dead. Requires that I keep it cabled/charged up all of the time. I've checked settings and all seem to be what is recommended. What am I doing wrong, or, is this how they are supposed to work? My wife said she only needs to charge hers every couple of weeks....

Posted on Apr 16, 2023 5:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2023 11:01 AM

am having the same issue with my 2nd generation AirPods Pro case. No use and it discharges the case down to. 0%. I brought them to the Genius Bar and they said nothing was wrong with them after they were sent out.

7 replies

Apr 16, 2023 6:44 AM in response to OurLegacyArchives

Please see Apple's suggestions in If your AirPods won’t charge - Apple Support

You say your wife also has AirPods, so if they are the exact same model you might be able to try charging your AirPods in her charging case. This will help you work out whether the problem is the ear buds or the charging case (or the charger cables and power adaptor).

If this doesn't help fix the problem, new AirPods should still be covered by Apple's 12 month warranty. See the last item of the support document,

If you still can’t charge your AirPods, contact Apple Support.

Apr 16, 2023 6:34 AM in response to OurLegacyArchives

Hey man, have you tried repairing your AirPods? It's a weird bug that sometimes hits with AirPods. Sometimes the battery percentage is a bit wonky as well. If you haven't already, maybe try updating your AirPods to 5E133 to see if that resolves the issue.

You can follow the steps of updating AirPods here: About firmware updates for AirPods - Apple Support (IE)

(If you don't already know how)

Hope this helps man! It happens to the best of us.

Apr 16, 2023 11:22 AM in response to OurLegacyArchives

Firmware is a long shot, but probably cheaper then a visit to the Toy Shop ... erm... Apple Store. Last time I went into one for a Genius Bar check on my AirPods it cost me a week's pay for SSD drives and cables (the airpod fix was free).

It sounds like you have enough hardware around to test most components by substitution and work out the prime suspects. just be cautious if you have different revisions of AirPod going into the wrong charging case. It won't destroy anything but it might not behave as expected.

AirPods battery drains quickly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.