Airpod Pro static/crackling issue

I have Airpod Pro that exhibits crackling/static sound. I took it to the apple store, they did sound analysis and confirmed that both (Lh/Rh) have this issue but want me to pay $89each to replace since apple has decided only small lot of Airpods that are manufactured before Oct 2020 will be repaired/replaced for free and rest of them can go and buy new ones...Never buying apple products again

Posted on Apr 16, 2023 5:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2023 6:24 AM

The service program you mention was for a specific manufacturing defect which was resolved in 2020. If your AirPods are more recent then that you have to rely on Apple's normal warranty. What does the warranty checker tell you when you enter the serial number for your AirPods?

Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support

If you are out of Apple's standard 12 month warranty and you don't have ongoing AppleCare+ cover then Apple has probably assessed your AirPods correctly. I know from my own experience that AirPods with a defect which are still in ApppleCare+ cover will be replaced without hesitation.

However, it is unlikely that both ear buds would fail at the same time and the outcome might have been different if you had taken them to be checked when the first one had a problem. At that time you might have been still covered by warranty.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 16, 2023 6:24 AM in response to Iam_nsn

The service program you mention was for a specific manufacturing defect which was resolved in 2020. If your AirPods are more recent then that you have to rely on Apple's normal warranty. What does the warranty checker tell you when you enter the serial number for your AirPods?

Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support

If you are out of Apple's standard 12 month warranty and you don't have ongoing AppleCare+ cover then Apple has probably assessed your AirPods correctly. I know from my own experience that AirPods with a defect which are still in ApppleCare+ cover will be replaced without hesitation.

However, it is unlikely that both ear buds would fail at the same time and the outcome might have been different if you had taken them to be checked when the first one had a problem. At that time you might have been still covered by warranty.

Apr 16, 2023 6:08 AM in response to Iam_nsn

Hey lam_nsn, I am sorry to hear that Apple won't replace your AirPods. Don't give up on Apple products yet though. They are pretty amazing, however after your experience, I can understand your frustration. Here is an Apple Support document that talks about the exact issue that you are facing with your AirPods Pros. If your AirPods Pro (1st generation) make crackling or static sounds - Apple Support (IE)

However, I don't think this article will help if you've already gone to Apple as I imagine they already have talked to you about these processes. :(

Sorry bro

May 14, 2024 12:58 PM in response to Iam_nsn

Have the same issue with my AirPods and apple support told me they were $69 per bud to replace. I called back to purchase them about an hour later and they went up to $89 per like you mentioned. Been a loyal apple user for 10 years and currently sitting in front of about $7500.00 worth up apple products at my office and this makes me want to get rid of it all just because of the principle of the issue.

Airpod Pro static/crackling issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.