How long will the iPhone XR be updated and supported?

Good day! Today in the store I was offered to buy an iphone xr 120gb for a rather attractive price! Could you tell me how long this smartphone will be updated and supported? This will be my first Apple smartphone.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone XR

Posted on Apr 16, 2023 6:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2023 2:58 PM

iPhone XR will be supported until 2025

18 replies

Apr 16, 2023 6:56 AM in response to RobinLoxley

Re: “… This will be my first Apple smartphone … “

HIGHLY recommend that you read and heed the cautions and warnings contained in this article:

The All Too Common SAD Reality of Buying … - Apple Community

Far too many individuals discover too late that the “attractive price” was a scam and that they purchased a quite expensive paperweight.

Apr 16, 2023 6:40 AM in response to RobinLoxley

This is a user-to-user forum.

Apple Support Community Forum

This is Apple Support Community forum, for user-to-user interaction for information & idea sharing between users, if need be, extend support on technical know-how in handling Apple products from more experienced fellow users, This is not the right forum to discuss with Apple Inc.

Apr 16, 2023 6:57 AM in response to RobinLoxley

None of us can answer that as we will ALL find out at during the “next” iOS version announcement.

However, the iPhone 8 is the oldest device capable of running iOS 16 today.

However, even IF your contemplated device can’t be updated to “iOS Next” … it will continue to operate safely and reliably on “iOS Current” for a number of years.

Apple will continue to provide security and bug updates as required.

I general, 3rd party app support will have fizzled out before before Apple ceases all updates for a particular iOS.

Apr 19, 2024 8:50 AM in response to FOENEM

To be clear, the Xr and Xs iPhones are obviously “on the bubble” iOS wise.

They DO run the latest and greatest iOS available today.

Whether they will be able to run the “next” iOS will remain unknown until Apple officially announces it at some point in the future.

BUT … even if they can’t run iOS “next” they will STILL continue to receive critical bug and security updates for a few more years.

Example: The iPhone 6s - while limited to iOS 15 - received an update just last month. (to iOS 15.8.2)

How long will the iPhone XR be updated and supported?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.