My iPhone wifi gets disconnected when screen is locked

I saw that many had this issue and tried all the basic steps that were mentioned. It’s quite irritating to experience this issue as not always there is a possibility of using mobile data, as well as why should I keep my phone connected to a power? I have purchased MOBILE phone a couple of months ago for convenience not for additional headache (I didn’t have this issue on my previous iPhone). I was sure iPhone was the best but start to doubt really.

the problem still exists and when I lock the screen it switches to mobile data which drains the battery faster (in case the purpose of this function was to save battery).

iPhone 13 mini, iOS 16

Posted on Apr 16, 2023 11:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2023 3:26 PM

Disable Networking & Wireless Service

WiFi networking service can collect information about nearby WiFi networks according to the current location of your iPhone. It could be beneficial when we want to connect to the Internet anywhere, yet it could also cause the issue iPhone disconnecting from WiFi when in sleep mode.

• Step 1: Open Settings on iPhone and scroll down to find the Privacy.
  • Step 2: Tap Location Services, followed by System Services.
  • Step 3: Then locate Networking & Wireless feature and toggle it off.

Turn Off Wi-Fi Assist

With Wi-Fi Assist feature enabled, your iPhone network will automatically switch to cellular when connecting with a poor WiFi. This is quite useful when you are using fluctuating WiFi. However, it could also pause the WiFi connection when iPhone locked. You could turn off this feature to fix the problem. Just go to Settings - Cellular - Wi-Fi Assist and disable it.

Turn On Auto-Join

Auto-join is a wonderful feature allowing you to join any WiFi network that has the credentials. And it can open WiFi networks without requiring you to do anything. It is a time saver and you can turn it on via the steps below.

• Step 1: Head to Settings and choose WLAN directly.
  • Step 2: Go to the WiFi network you are connecting and click the information mark i.
  • Step 3: Find the Auto-Join feature and turn it on.

my sign : متجر اليرتات

Similar questions

25 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 23, 2023 3:26 PM in response to UsSofi22

Disable Networking & Wireless Service

WiFi networking service can collect information about nearby WiFi networks according to the current location of your iPhone. It could be beneficial when we want to connect to the Internet anywhere, yet it could also cause the issue iPhone disconnecting from WiFi when in sleep mode.

• Step 1: Open Settings on iPhone and scroll down to find the Privacy.
  • Step 2: Tap Location Services, followed by System Services.
  • Step 3: Then locate Networking & Wireless feature and toggle it off.

Turn Off Wi-Fi Assist

With Wi-Fi Assist feature enabled, your iPhone network will automatically switch to cellular when connecting with a poor WiFi. This is quite useful when you are using fluctuating WiFi. However, it could also pause the WiFi connection when iPhone locked. You could turn off this feature to fix the problem. Just go to Settings - Cellular - Wi-Fi Assist and disable it.

Turn On Auto-Join

Auto-join is a wonderful feature allowing you to join any WiFi network that has the credentials. And it can open WiFi networks without requiring you to do anything. It is a time saver and you can turn it on via the steps below.

• Step 1: Head to Settings and choose WLAN directly.
  • Step 2: Go to the WiFi network you are connecting and click the information mark i.
  • Step 3: Find the Auto-Join feature and turn it on.

my sign : متجر اليرتات

Sep 3, 2023 3:55 AM in response to UsSofi22

My 13 pro does the same thing being on iOS 16.6. Occured like 2 weeks ago for the first time, so it has nothing to do with the latest OS update obviously. I went through the German support and they told me this was not normal, suggesting to update the iOS through iTunes which I did. No difference. I let the phone forget the network, reset all network data, turned off localization services for the networks, as well as the private WLAN address - nothing worked. I ended up with a reset of the whole phone, treating it as a new phone before installing the backup, as the support recommended. Still no effect.

It has been working flawless for more than 18 months, now it is just killing me. Sometimes Wi-Fi is in after waking the device from the lockscreen, sometimes it is just showing the 5G mobile . Most of the time the Wi-Fi icon is there, goes away directly for the 5G one, then gets turned back on. Everything within 3 seconds.

I have an iPhone 14 pro as well. Same household, same network, exact same wireless settings and iOS: No issues. Also I have no VPN here. If a factory reset does not change anything, I probably have to live with it and wait for the next iOS update. The remote diagnostics the support were all OK.

Aug 3, 2023 5:35 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Care to explain any further, Bob? Is it just Apple's general disregard for potential customer needs / usage (like not being able to stop charging at 80% to go easier on the battery unless otherwise selected), or is there some kind of necessity behind this? I have no reason to use mobile data when I am at home, so why does Apple insist that I do?

Sep 5, 2023 11:53 PM in response to RexM17

Plus, my phone still does automatic app updates that are set for Wi-Fi only when it is plugged in and not in battery-saving mode. If it just disconnects itself automatically from Wi-Fi anytime it is idle / screen-off, I wonder how it is magically able to update its apps from that same Wi-Fi when sitting there in the dark without being turned on and prompted...

Aug 10, 2023 4:52 AM in response to Bob Timmons

That just isn’t true. It didn’t happen on previous iPhones or previous versions of IOS. I know this hasn’t been an issue before because I sometimes turn cellular data off at home and recently is the first time I’ve had the problem (and I’ve owned iPhones since 2010). Some of us don’t have unlimited data plans so cannot use cellular data as if it’s going out of style so we must use Wi-Fi. I don’t understand why I would be forced to use cellular data that I don’t have to run an iPhone in the background. Also, if it’s always been the case why has Apple publicly posted possible “fixes” for an issue that doesn’t exist (none work, but still)?

Nov 17, 2023 1:22 AM in response to UsSofi22

Updating to iOS 17.X fixed it for me. Since I was never on a VPN, the root cause was elsewhere obviously.

Still I can tell that my phone is treated differently by our wireless than the 14 pro my wife is running with same settings and iOS. Even turning on real time prioritization for my device did not help, I always have the slower connection. Might not be Apple related though, to stay fair.

Glad the one issue got fixed. Can definitely live with the status quo…

Apr 18, 2023 2:48 PM in response to UsSofi22

Thanks for posting in the Apple Support Communities UsSofi22,

You may find the following information helpful:

To turn Cellular Data on or off, go to Settings  > Cellular.

To set options when Cellular Data is on, go to Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Options, then do any of the following:

* Reduce cellular usage: Turn on Low Data Mode, or tap Data Mode, then choose Low Data Mode. This mode pauses automatic updates and background tasks when iPhone isn’t connected to Wi-Fi.

View or change cellular data settings on iPhone - Apple Support

We hope this helps!

Aug 27, 2023 7:17 AM in response to tdueces

I also have the 14 pro but I doubt it will work since the problem has persisted since my last iPhone, I had the iPhone 12 and just recently upgraded my phone to the 14 pro and I thought maybe the problem was with my phone and changing phones would solve it but it’s still the same, I’ll try resetting it anyway

Sep 5, 2023 11:40 PM in response to sunmi1

Will have to deal with it.

Some people were guessing it would happen with two networks in use, but my phone connects to the main router with 5 GHz only - so much about the theory. Also using different SSIDs for the router and the access point does not change a thing. I had strong hopes for the reset to bring the phone back to normal.

Definitely it is a false statement that the phone always disconnects in “idle” mode to save battery. I can tell by reading the active connections of my router. The Apple support basically says the same. Also there is no such thing as a display error. If you do not see the Wi-Fi icon on your screen, there is no connection established and vice versa.

Nothing more to say or do about it, unless the support finds something new.

My iPhone wifi gets disconnected when screen is locked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.