Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

iPhone 14 Pro Wi-Fi Slow

My wifi speed on iPhone 14 Pro is slow. It is not the router. If I reboot the phone, it works at full speed wifi for a bit (five to ten minutes), then drops to less than 10% of full speed. This has been happening for 8 months, so it is not a fluke. I have tested it several dozen times. It seems like the wifi chipset and antenna work fine upon reboot but then something in the iPhone software throttles the speed down. I checked my energy saver settings, and nothing is turned on there that would reduce speed to save battery. My MacBook Air M1 Apple Silicon in the same room on the same wifi network exhibits full speed while right along side it, the iPhone 14 Pro runs at 10% of full speed.

iPhone 14 Pro

Posted on Apr 16, 2023 11:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2023 6:31 PM

I had the same issue. All my other devices were getting at least 400mb down but my phone was getting just 5mb down. I discovered this was caused by having the private WiFi setting enabled under my WiFi connection settings. When I disabled this feature the speed jump back up to be about the same as my other devices. To check go to settings>wifi. Click on the i icon next to your connection. See if private WiFi address is enabled. If so turn it off wait while the WiFi connection resets and try a speed test again.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 26, 2023 6:31 PM in response to mpokroy

I had the same issue. All my other devices were getting at least 400mb down but my phone was getting just 5mb down. I discovered this was caused by having the private WiFi setting enabled under my WiFi connection settings. When I disabled this feature the speed jump back up to be about the same as my other devices. To check go to settings>wifi. Click on the i icon next to your connection. See if private WiFi address is enabled. If so turn it off wait while the WiFi connection resets and try a speed test again.

Jan 25, 2024 5:46 PM in response to emoter1

My iPhone 14 pro max was slow on Speed over 2 Month. 5-12,5 mb. I tried every thing what was recommended on this side. NO Changes!

When did the speed test, the Provider was always Microsoft Azure. After doing some research, i found the reason why?

VPN!! It is Microsoft based. Brings always Microsoft Azure as the provider. After Disconnecting VPN my speed is again over 600 and more Mbps.

Could be that Microsoft do not like Apple???

Hope this information will help all of you!!!

Apr 16, 2023 12:17 PM in response to emoter1

Hi!

There have been other users who have encountered similar problems with Wi-Fi speed on iPhone 14 Pro. Some users solved the problem by resetting network settings or disabling Wi-Fi network services. To reset network settings go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset network settings. Enter your passcode if required and confirm that the network settings are restored. Keep in mind that this will erase all your saved network settings, including Wi-Fi access data and passwords, but you can log back in. To turn off Wi-Fi network services on your iPhone 14 Pro, go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services and turn off the Wi-Fi Network option. This will prevent your iPhone from using nearby Wi-Fi networks to improve location accuracy.

Also, you might want to check if your iPhone is using a 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz Wi-Fi connection and try changing the connection to see if it improves speed. To check if your iPhone is using 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz Wi-Fi, go to Settings > Wi-Fi and tap the information icon (i) next to the name of the Wi-Fi network you’re connected to. On the next screen, look for the Frequency Band entry. If you don’t see this entry, it means your iPhone is using the 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi connection. If you see this entry and it indicates 5 GHz, it means that your iPhone is using the 5 GHz Wi-Fi connection. If your iPhone is using the 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi connection and you want to try switching to the 5 GHz connection to see if this improves speed, you should first check if your router supports the 5 GHz connection. If your router supports 5 GHz connection, you may need to set up a separate Wi-Fi network for 5 GHz connection and then connect to that network from your iPhone. Check your router’s manual or contact the manufacturer for more information on setting up a 5 GHz Wi-Fi network.

If the problem persists, I recommend that you contact Apple Support.

I hope I helped you!

Nov 27, 2023 8:41 PM in response to emoter1

No idea if this will work for everyone but i recently downloaded Hulu and started experiencing these problems. I deleted it and immediately got a little better results .8 to around 9mbps. Then, I started deleting apps I never use and it jumped up to 150-170. Could be a coincidence but worth deleting apps you never use.

Nov 27, 2023 9:13 PM in response to taylew

Update: it was coincidence - turned off iCloud private relay and it seems to be fixed. Tested it out multiple times and each time private relay was on I’d get 5mbps or lower (usually barely a gig). Now it’s off and I’m getting 300+ with google fiber. Maybe a bug? Wasn’t happening previously and I’ve had private relay on for months.

Nov 28, 2023 10:48 AM in response to emoter1

So I took my phone into a Verizon store to actually get it changed since it was fairly new and a Syrian told me they would replace it for me since it’s giving me this much problems… But I don’t have to now what was happening is I was having a VPN on my phone which is not necessarily somebody trying to hack you but just somebody trying to utilize or get you to utilize them. It’s hard to explain, and I don’t understand it very well ..,,but if you have VPN active or flashing on your phone get rid of it. My phone works fine now with all my apps.

Apr 26, 2024 3:21 AM in response to Apple_Fan_from_Italy

The 2.4 vs 5 GHZ issue is where I finally solved this problem. My router control app showed 5.0 GHZ operation on all my devices EXCEPT my iPhone 14 Pro.

As soon as I switched off the use private address feature in Settings>WiFi, my iPhone, reconnected to the router and the iPhone started operating at 5.0 GHZ instead of 2.4.

Everything started operating as prior to the issue. Fast loads, faster, Reels, faster, Facebook posts.

As I understand from other posts in this form and a little research, as long as you are on your home, password-protected network, there is no worry about a private address being required.

iPhone 14 Pro Wi-Fi Slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.