Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Imovie putting unwanted fades on audio clips

Hi iMoviers,

I am trying to use iMovie to edit a playlist of songs from my music library into a single track to play back at the high school Lacrosse games. I am editing the songs to make them shorter and editing parts of one song into another. I have multiple audio tracks running. But I am having a problem. An example: I am using a clip of the drum intro to Paint It Black. iMovie is putting a fade in and a fade out on the clip. I have used the controls on the clip to be sure that there is a zero-duration fade in, but still, it's fading in and then out.

Further example: I clipped out a single boom-boom-clap from the intro to We Will Rock You. No fade in or out. Then I copied the clip and pasted it into a track, and the copy has a fade in and out. Does anyone have a clue for me? Thanks.

iMac (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Apr 16, 2023 6:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2023 10:40 PM

Try deleting/resetting preferences. To do that, open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie usually will open in a new empty library. If so, reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Possibly you may need to reboot to set the changes.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

— Rich

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 16, 2023 10:40 PM in response to BCDrums

Try deleting/resetting preferences. To do that, open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie usually will open in a new empty library. If so, reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Possibly you may need to reboot to set the changes.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

— Rich

Apr 24, 2023 8:28 AM in response to BCDrums

Glad you were able to find a workaround.

Sometimes creating a new project and moving your clips into it will cure issues that might be confined to your original project.

You might also take a look at this thread from an earlier post:

iMovie on MacBook -- Unwanted Audio Fade-… - Apple Community

And this one . .

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8429837?&previousThread=251329319021

-- Rich

Imovie putting unwanted fades on audio clips

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.