Dictionary for MacOS Monterey

I just bought a new MacBook Pro. The only source available in the Dictionary App is Wikipedia. How do add the sources that were in my previous laptop's dictionary (i.e. New Oxford American Dictionary, Oxford American Writer's Thesaurus, and Apple Dictionary)?

*Edit: The Macbook Pro 13 listed below is my OLD laptop. My new one is macOS 12.5

MacBook Pro 13″

Posted on Apr 16, 2023 8:33 PM

14 replies

Apr 17, 2023 6:31 AM in response to PRP_53

Thank you, P. Phillips, I do have "All" selected. There are no sources in the Dictionary (as loaded from the factory) besides wikipedia. I bought the computer new just days ago. It is loaded with Monterey 12.5. I understand and agree with you that it needs to be updated from 12.5 to the current 12.6.5--which I will do shortly. But I doubt that this particular issue is related.

Apr 17, 2023 7:33 AM in response to jkb2512

User wrote " I just bought a new MacBook Pro. "

The return it under the " 14 Day No Questions " Policy if purchased from Apple

If that is not amenable >>

Then have a few suggestions ;

1 - Get Support Choose a product and we’ll find you the best solution.

Start now and open an Apple Support Ticket as they are Apple Employees to deal will these types of issues . 

Apr 17, 2023 7:51 AM in response to PRP_53

You're right. Who knows what else is missing that I haven't even had time to discover yet. But before I take it back (even doing that is a hassle), I am downloading Ventura. Maybe a complete upgrade of the OS will result in the missing resources being installed. Thank you for taking the time to help me work through this. I do appreciate it.

Apr 17, 2023 8:10 AM in response to jkb2512

The user may be fortunate and upGrading to Ventura from Monterey 12.5 Released Jul 20, 2022 ( 21G72 ) may install without issues and may fix the Dictionary issue,

Though, from my experience and observations, upGrading from an Out of Date pervious version can be problematic .

Users' Choice but if it were my machine, which it is not, would do the 12.6.5 Monterey First

Once that is achieved, Test if the Dictionary Issue is resolved

Just IMHO though

Dictionary for MacOS Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.