Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

howto transfer non-std dictionaries from old labtop to new

Got an old labtop where I loong time ago have installed some extra dictionaries for Dictionary.app and now I would like to also install these on my new M1 labtop, only I've totally forgotten from where (might have been aspell/ispell) and howto. Google return useless so far and I don't seem to be able to dig them out of the old labtop, ought to be possible.

Any hints to where I might find them on the old labtop and howto transfer to the new one, would be very much appreciated, TIA!

Have look at this stackexchange link and searched w/find low and high on the old labtop with out any luck under both /System/Library and ~/Library.

Both are running Monterey 12.1

This is SDs from the old:

and this is SDs from the new:

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Mar 9, 2022 12:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2022 8:48 AM

Look for the Danish-English dictionary that you added in /Library/Dictionaries, and that is where it must go on another Monterey system. In the Finder, press shift+cmd+G to open the Go To Folder dialog. Enter that preceding path string, and then press return. A new Finder window will open on that Library location.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 10, 2022 8:48 AM in response to stefws

Look for the Danish-English dictionary that you added in /Library/Dictionaries, and that is where it must go on another Monterey system. In the Finder, press shift+cmd+G to open the Go To Folder dialog. Enter that preceding path string, and then press return. A new Finder window will open on that Library location.

Mar 9, 2022 12:46 PM in response to stefws

Custom dictionaries that worked on older versions of macOS are not compiled for Monterey and may either not work for that reason, the dictionary format has changed from older versions of macOS, the dictionary may only partially work, or it will crash the dictionary application.

I suggest that you find a third-party Danish - English dictionary that is stated to be compatible with macOS Monterey or someone who has Monterey and their Mac configured for the Danish language. Grab a copy of their Danish - English dictionary.

howto transfer non-std dictionaries from old labtop to new

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.