ScreenTime not tracking/blocking FaceTime

My daughter talks on FaceTime for 10 hours a day and when I check screen-time it says she has been on 43 seconds. I do not have it in “Always Allowed” and I have a 2 hr time limit for the app and the “block after time limit” is selected. This is not a matter of using communication limits because she has those, too, but gets around it when it’s not downtime and I don’t want to change that. I want the app time limit for FaceTime to work. I have restated the phones, restarted and set up screen-time and even gotten a new phone. How can I fix this?

iPhone SE (2nd generation)

Posted on Apr 17, 2023 6:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2023 7:35 PM

I am facing the same issue. It looks like when FaceTime is running in the background, it’s not getting counted in the screen time. My daughter is talking to her friends on FaceTime while playing Minecraft. I have set 20 min cap for FaceTime in screen time and much longer for Minecraft. But it’s not logging FaceTime time when she’s on Minecraft.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 20, 2023 7:35 PM in response to KMB_12

I am facing the same issue. It looks like when FaceTime is running in the background, it’s not getting counted in the screen time. My daughter is talking to her friends on FaceTime while playing Minecraft. I have set 20 min cap for FaceTime in screen time and much longer for Minecraft. But it’s not logging FaceTime time when she’s on Minecraft.

May 20, 2024 6:08 AM in response to MaMiaMimi

Same here and I’ve gone back years on these forums and Apple has given no real guidance that actually applies to the issue. The problem occurs when the user bypasses the actual FaceTime app by going into their Messages instead. They then click on the contact’s info and select FaceTime from there. For some reason (bug) the iOS does not track this usage since the call was not initiated through the FaceTime app…it was initiated through the Messages app. Subsequently, these minutes do not show up in the Messages screen time usage either. Teenagers around the world know this and Apple continues to ignore it.

Apr 19, 2023 10:56 AM in response to MaMiaMimi

Hello MaMiaMimi,

Thanks for choosing the Apple Support Communities. We understand you're not able to block your child from using FaceTime using Screen Time. We have a few steps that may help ensure this feature is working properly.

1. Follow the steps located here to set up parental controls: Use parental controls on your child's iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support
  2. Make sure all devices are up to date: Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support
  3. Set up a Screen Time passcode on your daughters device: Use Screen Time on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

We hope this helps.

Cheers!

ScreenTime not tracking/blocking FaceTime

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.