You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

iOS 18 is now available

Customize your iPhone in more ways than ever, stay connected with friends and family, and relive your favorite moments. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you update iPhone 6 to iOS 14 or newer?

How to update ios14 on iPhone 6

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 6, iOS 12

Posted on Apr 18, 2023 1:27 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2023 1:30 AM

That's not technically possible, sorry.

See why in this compatibility chart:

448 replies

Jan 31, 2024 5:00 AM in response to u120

u120 wrote:

I also have an iPhone 6, the iOS version is very old and I dare not upgrade, afraid of running slower. But many apps require iOS 15 or above to be used, which is really confusing

There is nothing to be confused about. You have a nearly 10 year old iPhone, which cannot be updated past iOS 12. You won't be able to use any apps which require a higher iOS version until you retire your outdated iPhone and buy a newer iPhone which is capable of running iOS 15 or higher.

Feb 9, 2024 12:24 PM in response to stedman1

stedman1 wrote:

IdrisSeabright wrote:

lino291 wrote:

I just want to upgrade my iOS 12.5.7 to iOS 14
It would require moving to an alternate universe. So, first, you need to build the trans-dimensional transporter.
You do know there will be a question soon as to how one builds a “trans-dimensional transporter”, right?

There's a Star Trek episode likely playing on Paramount + which surely explains how!

Oct 1, 2023 7:53 AM in response to Euaggeliampel08

Euaggeliampel08 wrote:

How can I update apple iPhone 6 for iOS 14

Answer #1: You don't. See the rest of the thread to which you just replied. Repeating the question won't change the answer.

Answer #2: To run a newer version of iOS, buy a newer iPhone and set it up. Then prepare your outdated iPhone 6 to be given away and send the outdated iPhone 6 to Apple for free recycling. (I don't believe Apple will give you any trade-in credit for it – but you could ask them, and see what they said.).

Can you update iPhone 6 to iOS 14 or newer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.