You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

đź’ˇ Did you know?

General and ongoing cleaning can help you maintain your AirPods or AirPods Pro.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

EarPods with lightning connector not working properly

(I am not sure what category the EarPods go into, so I chose AirPods.) Now with that out of the way, I would like to ask the community why my EarPods with a lightning connector are not working as expected as of recently. Every time I use them, the buttons on the EarPods are not working, not the volume, nor the pause/un-pause. I tried plugging them in, and out, and trying different methods I found online, but nothing works, and I have only had them for 1 month. What do I do?

iPhone 14, iOS 16

Posted on Apr 18, 2023 5:10 AM

2 replies

Apr 19, 2023 6:56 PM in response to RayGotQuestions

Hey RayGotQuestions,

We'd recommend reviewing this article as it provides steps to take for headphone issues on iPhone: If your headphones don't work with your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

"Check for debris, damage, or loose connections

1. Check for debris in the headphone port on your iPhone or iPad.
  2. Check your headphone cable, connector, remote, and earbuds for damage, like wear or breakage. 
  3. Look for debris on the meshes in each earbud. To remove debris, gently brush all openings with a small, soft-bristled brush that's clean and dry. 
  4. Firmly plug your headphones back in. If your iPhone or iPad has a case, you might need to remove the case to get a firm connection. 

If you can't hear any sound or if only one side of your headphones works

1. Adjust the volume with the volume buttons on your iPhone or iPad, or use the Volume slider in Control Center on iPhone or Control Center on iPad
  2. To see if you need a replacement, try a second pair of headphones. If the second pair works, contact the manufacturer of the initial pair and ask if you need a replacement. If the second pair doesn't work, contact Apple Support

If your microphone doesn't work

1. Make sure that your headphones have a built-in microphone.
  2. Check your microphone for blockage, like debris, lint, or plastic packaging.
  3. To see if you need a replacement, try a second pair of headphones. If the second pair works, contact the manufacturer of the initial pair and ask if you need a replacement. If the second pair doesn't work, contact Apple Support.

Still need help?

If your headphones still aren't working, contact Apple Support."

Thanks!

Feb 9, 2024 9:03 AM in response to RayGotQuestions

I have lightning EarPods as well on an iPhone 13 mini. My controls stopped working on music and podcasts. It kept turning on or jumping around. So I bought a new set of lightning EarPods From Apple and none of the controls work, except for stop and start play, and the microphone doesn’t work.

There is nothing in Apple support that is of any use.

I don’t know about the rest of you, but I’ve been using Apple products since the early 2000s and never had a problem before that there wasn’t a fix for in Apple support.

I don’t want AirPods because the sound quality is so bad as bluetooth isn’t capable of broadcasting decent sound quality and the mic is by your ear and sounds like it.

EarPods with lightning connector not working properly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.