How can I activate the 144 Hz refresh rate?

I have a MacBook Pro 14" (2021) with M1 Pro chip and I am trying to connect it to an AOC CQ32G1 31.5" monitor with 144 Hz refresh rate. Although my monitor supports 144 Hz, I cannot select this option in the settings of my MacBook. Could someone please help me solve this problem or give troubleshooting suggestions so that I can use the 144 Hz refresh rate on my external monitor?

MacBook Pro (2021)

Posted on Apr 18, 2023 7:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2024 11:31 AM

SOLVED!

steps taken, on Mac mini m1 2020 M1 chip.

in Displays -> click Advanced -> then show resolutions as list -> then Done -> then in the resolutions window

click the Show all Resolutions toggle -> Select 2560 x 1440

now I can set 144 Hertz for my 2K monitor.

here is a screenshot

15 replies

Dec 1, 2023 8:40 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Now that we are on the same page, why is it that this cable (or similar) with a firmware update done via a Windows PC will allow my M1 to go above 4k 60hz? All users with this cable have seen 4k at 120hz. My simple question is why won't apple simply unlock the potential of the thunderbolt 4 ports instead of having us to upgrade to a M2 based laptop or go to a third party to unlock it?

The Cable: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08QDV5H4M?ref=myi_title_dp

the instructions:

You may find the macOS firmware and firmware update instructions by following the link here: 

https://go.wetransfer.com/t-nvBvZYLwZN 

The firmware in the link above can be used with the following SKUs: 

201388-A - 48Gbps USB-C® Adapter Supporting 8K Video 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08MSWMXT4 

201362-A - USB-C to HDMI Adapter Cable 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08QDV5H4M 

201398 - Foldable USB-C to 8K HDMI Adapter in Black 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B72B3V8L 

Some notes to consider: 

1. The firmware update can be completed with a Windows computer that supports USB-C with DP Alt mode. If you don’t have access to a Windows computer that supports USB-C with DP Alt mode, please try it by using Parallels with Windows running (on Mac). 

1. If the provided VmmDPTool doesn’t work, please try downloading the VmmHIDTool (which is a different tool from the VmmDPTool) from the Windows store, to see if it works. 

1. After performing the update, the adapter may be limited to 1080p with some Windows computers. 

1. To ensure that you have the best experience while using this new firmware with your Mac Device, please be sure to have the latest macOS version installed. 

1. This firmware is compatible with all M1/M2 Macs including MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, MacBook Air, etc. Most Intel-based MacBooks can only output 4K@60hz with this firmware. 

1. The MacBook Pro 2019 will output 4K@120hz with this firmware, but there is some no sound issue. 

Dec 1, 2023 6:54 AM in response to m1maxuser

HDMI cables you want for HDMI-only Displays (higher resolutions than 720p TV sets) are marked as Certified with an anti-counterfeiting tag and are labeled:

"Premium High Speed HDMI cable" or that + "with Ethernet" --OR--

"Ultra High Speed HDMI cable" or that + "48G"

Cables with No Certification tags are good for your standard 720p TV set, and not much more.

HDMI was invented for HD TV sets. it works great at its original resolution of 720i or 720p. At higher resolutions, it quickly develops issues that are complex to solve, and the cables and adapters required to solve are NOT intuitive.

Dec 1, 2023 7:00 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I am using a certified HDMI 2.1 cable, For testing purposes I used the one that I am using on my Xbox Series X on the same monitor to 120hz and I am still software limited to only 4k at 60hz. I have found a cable that I can do a firmware update to on a Windows PC that claims it will allow over the 144hz that my monitor can handle. I would rather see Apple just offer a way to alter their software limitation on this as the only reason I can see why its limited is to make the M2 look that much better.

Are there any developer options to remove this software limitation for external monitors?

Dec 1, 2023 7:15 AM in response to m1maxuser

The Apple standard for its built-in hardware-accelerated displays, makes them suitable for full-motion video for production/display of cinema-quality video with NO dropped frames, and NO dropouts or partial-blank scan lines due to memory under-runs or other issues. This requires a hardware rasterizer/display-generator for each fully-accelerated display. 

The Mac, unlike the Xbox, enforces this standard by asking the display to report any transmission errors. If your setup is generating error, it will NOT go any faster. Telling your Mac to ignore error is not going to happen.

Many user find relief by making certain that their cables are certified for use at top HDMI speeds, whcih you appear to have Done in obtaining a cable Certified to use with HDMI 2,.1 which requires ULTRA 48G cables.

Only the Mac Studio model introduced in 2023 supports HDMI 2.1. it must be cabled directly to the HDMI port -- Adapters are not supported at these speeds.

Dec 1, 2023 7:21 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

There are no errors, my friend has already achieved 4k at 165hz with his 14in macbook pro M1. I have the 16in macbook pro M1 Max yet I am limited to 60hz on a 144hz monitor no matter what HDMI cable or DP cable I have tried. All of my research has pointed me to the fact that the usb-c ports on the laptop are limited to 4k at 60hz via software. The M2+ models all have the ability from the factory to run 144hz monitors so it seems the software limitation was removed for those models. Every other laptop I have that connects to this monitor utilizes at minimum 120hz. I have 5 total laptops, 1 personal PC, my macbook, and 3 others for work. The only one that limits the refresh rate is my M1 max and it is the newest laptop by age and by chipset.

Dec 1, 2023 9:21 AM in response to m1maxuser

if you want to buy a third-party cable/adapter frorm USB-C port, and apply updates to that adapter, you are welcome to try that.

"Apple does not support it" means:

If you get it to work, "Merry Christmas!" you get an unexpected present.

If it does not work, Apple will not help you make it work.

Adapters that include support for HDMI 2.1 get "burn your skin off" HOT. They tend to fail more readily than devices that maintain ordinary temperatures.

Jan 2, 2024 6:55 PM in response to ongjaso

ongjaso

You have camped onto an already too-long discussion with a new and different setup.

To get the attrition your query deserves, PLEASE start a New discussion, with a title that will attract readers with expertise in your issue.

The answer to your specific query depends on your exact model year and processor, What MacOS you are running, exactly what display you are using, and whether your cables are certified for top speeds. Be sure to include as many of those details as you can on your NEW discussion.

How can I activate the 144 Hz refresh rate?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.