Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Charging was on hold due to iPad temperature

Since when I have updated iPad os 16.4.1 in my iPad 9th gen it’s showing charging was on hold due to iPad temperature even my device is not hot.

plz Apple do something about this.

Posted on Apr 18, 2023 11:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2023 7:38 AM

LotusPilot's reply doesn't address the complaint, which is that their iPad was not hot when charging was put on hold. I have experienced this too. The iPad is cool, but I get this message. My iPad is also a gen 9. Luckily it doesn't happen often (so far).

7 replies

Apr 18, 2023 11:31 AM in response to shubh210

The iPad’s thermal management is doing its job - in trying to protect your iPad, in particular the battery, from irreversible thermal damage. Quoting directly from Apple… If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch gets too hot or too cold - Apple Support

“If your device gets too warm

iOS and iPadOS devices have built-in protections to prevent overheating. If the interior temperature of your device exceeds the normal operating range, your device will protect its internal components by attempting to regulate its temperature. Here are some of the higher ambient-temperature conditions and activities to avoid, because they might cause your device to change performance and behavior:

• Avoid leaving your device in a car on a hot day.
  • Avoid leaving your device in direct sunlight for an extended period of time.
  • Avoid using certain features in hot conditions or direct sunlight for an extended period of time, such as GPS tracking or navigation in a car, playing a graphics-intensive game, or using augmented-reality apps.

If the interior temperature of your device exceeds the normal operating range, you might notice these changes:

• Charging, including wireless charging, slows or stops.
  • The display dims or goes black.
  • Cellular radios enter a low-power state. The signal might weaken during this time.
  • The camera flash is temporarily disabled.
  • Performance slows with graphics-intensive or augmented-reality apps or features.”

May 22, 2024 9:55 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

You mentioned “Actually, iPads and iPhones have paused charging while fast charging at around 80%, let the battery cool and then continued charging.”

I mentioned the device wasn’t even warm, not in sun, in an air conditioned space, air temperature about 70°. Absolutely no even warm temperature of the battery. And I’m definitely not fast charging, only using the stock Apple iPad charger, so that doesn’t apply either. Yet I got this message. So none of the conditions you mention apply, yet still, I get this message. I could understand if even one of the conditions you mentioned was applicable, but none apply.

Sep 11, 2023 12:57 PM in response to dmwinsd

Same here. Charging on hold when ambient temperature is well below 95 degrees. It happens frequently - iPad Pro 12.9 - 6th gen, iOS 16.6.1.

Great that my device is protected, but the internal temperature should not be so hot that this feature kicks in. Have closed all apps and any browser tabs not in use.

The fact that charging on hold is triggered under normal operating conditions would appear to indicate a faulty device.

Sep 11, 2023 1:12 PM in response to Firesheep67

Firesheep67 wrote:

Same here. Charging on hold when ambient temperature is well below 95 degrees. It happens frequently - iPad Pro 12.9 - 6th gen, iOS 16.6.1.

Great that my device is protected, but the internal temperature should not be so hot that this feature kicks in. Have closed all apps and any browser tabs not in use.

The fact that charging on hold is triggered under normal operating conditions would appear to indicate a faulty device.

No, it doesn't indicate a faulty device. Actually, iPads and iPhones have paused charging while fast charging at around 80%, let the battery cool and then continued charging. The difference is that now there is an alert to this effect. As long as you don't see the message that the device is overheating and shutting down, everything is fine.

Charging was on hold due to iPad temperature

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.