Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Disable caller id photo for incoming calls

Hello,

I would like to know how to disable full screen incoming call photo when Iphone is locked.

(I do not want caller id photo to appear all over the screen especially when I am around other people)

thanks

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 14 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on Apr 19, 2023 6:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2023 8:11 AM

How does Apple not think this is a security problem, not to mention a privacy issue

If someone wants their phone to only vibrate when locked it would seem to me that they might also want to prevent a contact from showing up on their locked screen.

I can't be the only one that finds this ridiculous. Apple needs to at the very least offer this as an option.

23 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2023 8:11 AM in response to Maxuser1

How does Apple not think this is a security problem, not to mention a privacy issue

If someone wants their phone to only vibrate when locked it would seem to me that they might also want to prevent a contact from showing up on their locked screen.

I can't be the only one that finds this ridiculous. Apple needs to at the very least offer this as an option.

Nov 18, 2023 2:50 AM in response to Ninwendo

The problem with this work around is, for one, that it is a work around and not just a function I can turn off. Secondly, some users have literally thousands of contacts and the amount of time required for this solution would be substantial to say the least.

This option should be made available in an update by Apple. I don’t think this kind of option is asking a lot.

Feb 7, 2024 7:55 AM in response to spgIT

I *HATE* this “feature”. Hate, hate, hate. I spent a lot of time on the phone yesterday with Apple Support trying to learn how to disable it. The person was obviously new and didn’t know much, and said something about recording the call for classroom use. She finally passed me off to second-level support. Just as I heard that person come on, the call dropped and they never called back (!).

I am going to try again today. I am absolutely livid - this might be the most stupid feature I have ever seen. Not only can you not turn it off, if you swipe up to get it off the screen, it just comes back. I’d like to meet the person who thought this was a good idea.

Apr 19, 2023 10:03 AM in response to spgIT

You cannot disable the function. The size of the image that is connected to the contact determines whether the image is displayed as a small photo next to the name of the caller, or as full screen.

I have individually cropped my contact photos to approx. 600x600 and added them via Contacts on https://icloud.com - this means that I only see small pictures there, and not fullscreen. It seems that Contact Pictures that I add directly on my iPhone become Fullscreen.

You can do as I do, or try opening the person(s) where the contact pictures become Fullscreen on your iPhone in the Contacts app, choose to edit the picture, and zoom out on the picture - and see if it makes a difference. Otherwise, I can guarantee that what I have done works, but it is time consuming.

Apr 29, 2024 10:34 AM in response to SOLOGAN

SOLOGAN wrote:

A feature not well thought out before implementation. I should be given a choice to allow the caller image show on my screen. You don’t force a feature on your users. Very poor from Apple.

Apple doesn't read here in this user-to-user forum for feedback or suggestions. You can, however, let them know your thoughts here:

Product Feedback - Apple

Disable caller id photo for incoming calls

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.