Locked out of another Apple ID because I am unable to complete 2 step verification to get back into my account

I have an old Apple ID I have been trying to gain access to - I had attempted to log into my account with the wrong password one too many times so it locked me out for security reasons - I now have the password which I know is correct but it still won’t let me in due to security and I have to verify it using an old phone number through iforgotmyiphone. website however I dont have that old phone nor do I know the number - I don’t have any other way to verify that it’s my account like It doesn’t even give me an option - I’ve looked everywhere but I can’t seem to find a solution

Posted on Apr 19, 2023 9:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2023 10:42 AM

I don’t have any device logged into my Apple ID at the moment and I cannot start this process because I don’t need a PASSWORD reset I know my password - it s asking me for my phone number which I don’t have access to anymore - it WONT LET ME THROUGH that screen - I need a way to fix being locked out for security reasons that doesn’t involve my old phone number

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 19, 2023 10:42 AM in response to Limnos

I don’t have any device logged into my Apple ID at the moment and I cannot start this process because I don’t need a PASSWORD reset I know my password - it s asking me for my phone number which I don’t have access to anymore - it WONT LET ME THROUGH that screen - I need a way to fix being locked out for security reasons that doesn’t involve my old phone number

Apr 19, 2023 2:36 PM in response to Baguette_-

With two factor authentication it requires involvement of your phone number.

However, while their online support article says account recovery is for forgotten password, account recovery steps are also for a new phone number if you can’t sign in to update the number. See "To see, add, or change your trusted phone numbers" at Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support and How to use account recovery when you can’t reset your Apple ID password - Apple Support

You'll need to go thru the account recovery steps and you'll need to first enter in that old number to show you know it. Then when you get to the step where it says it sent a code to that old number select the option most like “didn’t get code” and it will let you continue with your current number.

Always scroll down for additional options in small blue print if the ones showing don’t apply to/work for you. The credit card is an extra option and not required. (See prior tip)

Keep in mind account recovery is a two-phase process once started. Phase 1 is the evaluation period, usually 24-72 hours but can be longer or shorter. This phase says Apple is evaluating your info and you’ll get an update after the posted time is over (people mistakenly think it means they’ll be able to reset the password immediately after this first phase.)

Once phase 1 is done it enters phase 2 where https://iforgot.apple.com/ will give you the final number of days (can be weeks) you’ll wait. On that final day you’ll get a text, follow that text immediately.

Locked out of another Apple ID because I am unable to complete 2 step verification to get back into my account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.