Unable to transfer funds to Apple Savings account after adding external bank account.

Is anyone else seeing this error after adding an external bank account to Apple Savings? "For your security, only accounts that are verified to be in your name can be used for transfers. If you need help, contact Support."

After adding the external account, I saw this message and assumed there may be a wait period before the account is ready for transfers, but the error remains after waiting several days.

Is there a way to resolve this?

iPhone 13 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on Apr 19, 2023 12:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2023 3:24 PM

Apple sponsors the community forums but is not here. We’re all Apple enthusiasts and users just trying to help fellow users etc.

Apple and Goldman Sachs Bank welcome your feedback.

Feedback - Apple Pay - Apple

CONTACTING — Goldman Sachs Bank 

• Call toll-free at 877-255-5923; or

• Write to: Goldman Sachs Bank, Lockbox 6112, P.O. Box 7247, Philadelphia, PA 19170-6112.

115 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2023 3:24 PM in response to WayneH56

Apple sponsors the community forums but is not here. We’re all Apple enthusiasts and users just trying to help fellow users etc.

Apple and Goldman Sachs Bank welcome your feedback.

• Write to: Goldman Sachs Bank, Lockbox 6112, P.O. Box 7247, Philadelphia, PA 19170-6112.

May 13, 2023 12:48 PM in response to WaltinbayCA

Apple and Goldman Sachs Bank are two separate companies. Banks have federal regulations to comply with. Apple can no more tell Goldman Sachs how to conduct their business than you or I can tell Apple (or Goldman Sachs) how to conduct their operations.

Goldman Sachs chooses a specific way to verify accounts for transfers. This practice may change over time, but will require system and infrastructure changes that are lengthy and require additional hiring and training of personnel etc. The system in place is what we all have to deal with at this time.

I choose a different path. My external accounts are with Chase, 5/3 Bank, Wells Fargo and other banks/financial institutions. They all have apps on my iPhone and iPad. I use their apps to push and pull funds to and from Apple Savings. I had to verify that my Apple Savings account was mine, but that is a Federal Reserve requirement (search Know Your Customer and Know Your Customer’s Customer). It was a simple 5 to 10 minute process and all my external accounts are approved for pushing and pulling funds out of Apple Savings, go with the easiest process. When Goldman Sachs streamlines their process, complete the verification process on their side. Problem solved.

Apple and Goldman Sachs Bank welcome your feedback. Please use the links below to leave your feedback.

• Write to: Goldman Sachs Bank, Lockbox 7022, P.O. Box 71022, Philadelphia, PA 19176-1022..

Jun 15, 2023 1:39 PM in response to Howitzer87

5 business days was 12 for me. My account was verified. This happened last month-May 2023. I am an optimist and thought all those calls solved the issue so I went to make another transfer this month to my external account ...and guess what? It was declined...again. I called and sat on hold. It is being "escalated" up the chain. Meanwhile my bills remain unpaid on time for the second month in a row. I am really upset. I did not open a CD but a Savings Account and yet I cannot access my cash. Surely this cannot be legal?

Apr 27, 2023 2:10 PM in response to Burnett

The vast majority had no issue setting up their savings account. A few didn’t follow two simple instructions and hit the panic button rather than calmly searching Apple Support or asking a simple question or two.

1. Update to latest version of iOS

2. Verify Apple Cash account. When activating their Apple Card it’s highly recommended as part of the process. It’s also part of setup of Apple Pay.

Apr 27, 2023 2:54 PM in response to Jeff Donald

“This savings account effort is over for me.” - Let me elaborate.

No idea what the vast majority experience has been, or what the “panic” button is. Software enables the ability to enforce or remind instructions during the set up process. Unclear what a calm approach, or suggestions how to self service addresses the poor user experiences Apple is continuing to deliver.

I can only speak about my experience and sharing it with others who may read here.

1. created savings account
  2. linked 2 bank account routing and account numbers
  3. Test transfer of $1000 to Apple Savings and saw that transaction
  4. A few days later an “Adjustment” of $1000 declined transaction (it now shows “credit reversal”). No alert, no email, no text, no explanation.
  5. I called my bank and they saw no transaction from Goldman Sachs (GS)
  6. Text with GS person 1: explains bank rules, is it mine, is it a trust, etc etc. Needs to be verified on phone, but long wait time. Try linking a bank checking account (seriously, text it twice). I gave all screen shots of what I did and why I was calling.
  7. Phone to GS to verify bank account (it’s an option # provided right when calling in) - 20 minutes got GS person 2: you need verification - let me transfer you. On hold over 1 hour longer. Hung up.
  8. Tried iPhone to close the savings account. No option.
  9. Tried iPhone to pay Apple credit card balance. Error: There is no linked account (the one pending savings account verification same bank).
  10. Txt 2 with GS person 3 to cancel savings. Took 5 minutes, account cancelled (can’t verify or not). They had to transfer me to fix my credit card re-linking to my bank account. GS person 4 took about 7 minutes, set up my bank account to my credit card on the phone which now works again.

If you attempted to link your new savings account to the same bank account you use for your credit card payments and aren’t successful or need phone verification, recommend you check your credit card link. End result for me is 3+ hours to get back to where I was with the credit card. I’m not investing anymore time into the savings account.

May 13, 2023 1:20 PM in response to E000R

I agree E000R. It's absurd the amount of hoop jumping Apple customers have accepted in figuring out how to make "it just work."

Regardless of Jeff's association, he is trying to help people get what they want accomplished. although it does appear particularly focused on helping everyone in this thread. I would just make a few general suggestions:

1. it's disingenuous to suggest Apple doesn't monitor or support this Community they established
  2. don't assume people don't already know how to navigate banking capabilities/tech (EFTs, Wire, P2P)
  3. Apple did get $1B in deposits first week. *If quality it doesn't financially impact results, is anyone there listening? Siri? HomeKit? IOS or M1 bugs?

*until it does

Apr 22, 2023 3:49 PM in response to Natycmd

Only your Apple iPhone will request your Apple ID/iCloud account information. Third party banks will require their own passwords. It’s possible that the emails address you used for your Apple ID is the same as the email you used for your bank. It’s not a best practice to use the same password for different accounts.

You have setup your Bank information in your Wallet Accounts. It should look like this to transfer funds into your Apple Savings Account.

Above photo is Wallet app > Apple Card > Savings Account > Above photo

Above photo is tap Add Money > type dollar amount > above photo

Above photo is Lower Arrow is tap arrow to change account to desired bank account. Second arrow is double click the power button on left side of iPhone. Transfers complete within 5 business days.

If you see an error, please post below in exact words.

Apr 19, 2023 12:44 PM in response to Jeff Donald

This is from an external checking account. I have already successfully associated my Apple Cash account and moved those funds over to Apple Savings.

It is my assumption that there is no name checking verification process happening between Apple and the external account, since the error appeared immediately after adding the routing+account numbers.

Apr 19, 2023 10:31 PM in response to notetoself.net

Hello,

I am having same problem as well. I have spent close to 4 hours with apple savings support off and on since Monday. My brother uses the exact same credit Union as the one I’m trying to link with and he had no problem at all with set up.

The work around at this point is to add money to Apple Cash first then transfer to savings. Hopefully they get the issue fixed.

Unable to transfer funds to Apple Savings account after adding external bank account.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.