iPad WiFi works for some apps but not others

Yesterday in the apple store, my WiFi symbol flashed on then disappeared. I figured it was an issue related to the network but the same thing then happened on my home network (that I've used for years). When the WiFi symbol is off, I can't get mail or load my daily newspaper, but I can access web pages in Safari and my NYT crossword puzzles update and download. I've tried restarting the iPad, rebooting the iPad, and resetting the network settings. The WiFi is normal on my iPhone so it doesn't look like it's a router issue. What else should I try?

It's an iPad Air 2 running 15.7.3.

iPad Air 2

Posted on Apr 20, 2023 6:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2023 6:50 AM

Last item first, for iPad Air2, iPadOS 15.7.5 is current. You should update your iPad to this version as soon a practicable - as this version includes essential system security updates.

From your description, your iPad has a problem with its internal routing table. The potential causes are many, but are usually attributable to some types of App or associated device configuration.

If you have a VPN App or profiles installed, or a security App such as Norton, these may be the cause of the problem. In such circumstances, the resolution is usually relatively simple; if installed, you may only need to temporarily remove the Security App and/or VPN - and then perform a forced restart of your iPad.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 20, 2023 6:50 AM in response to David_in_CA

Last item first, for iPad Air2, iPadOS 15.7.5 is current. You should update your iPad to this version as soon a practicable - as this version includes essential system security updates.

From your description, your iPad has a problem with its internal routing table. The potential causes are many, but are usually attributable to some types of App or associated device configuration.

If you have a VPN App or profiles installed, or a security App such as Norton, these may be the cause of the problem. In such circumstances, the resolution is usually relatively simple; if installed, you may only need to temporarily remove the Security App and/or VPN - and then perform a forced restart of your iPad.

Apr 20, 2023 7:49 AM in response to David_in_CA

You are very welcome.

Having cleared the problem, you should be able to reinstall Norton should you choose to do so. If the problem returns at a later date, you’ll know what you need to do.

As for benefits of Norton, perhaps consider that the iOS/iPadOS sandboxed security architecture is designed to isolate Apps from each other - each App only being able to access its own private storage and assigned system resources. This intended separation prevents Apps from accessing storage and resources of other Apps; for traditional security Apps, this presents a fundamental problem.

To work-around this limitation, Norton installs a network proxy, which attempts to reroute and examine your network traffic. In some instances, as here, the proxy disrupts expected network traffic routing - if not completely interrupting the network connection, selectively dropping traffic for some Apps - as you appear to have experienced.

iPad WiFi works for some apps but not others

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.