Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

hooks.stripe.com failure when adding a credit card payment

I'm unable to add a credit card as a payment option.

I've tried several different credit cards on several different apps and it's always the same behaviour, so the problem seems to be either with my device or my apple account.

Everytime, after I input my CC details, there's a pop-up window with a completely white body and the address "hooks.stripe.com" at the top (apparently stripe.com is some kind of payment infrastructure website --nothing to do with the app I'm using).

There's no error message, no activity, etc. Eventually I just have to tap on "Close", and then it says "Something went wrong", Please try again or consider using another payment method". There should be some clue what the problem is, but unfortunately, this completely blank white screen is all I have to go on.

The only other clue (based on other problems I've had) is that maybe "javascript is off" --I have no idea what that means, how I would check whether or not such a thing is indeed "off", or not, or how to turn it back "on". Super frustrating, and I don't even have an error message to google, so I'm pretty much at a dead end.

iPhone SE

Posted on Apr 21, 2023 8:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2023 9:05 AM

If Javascript is off that can be the problem. Go to Settings/Safari/Advanced and turn Javascript on if it is off. If it was already on turn it off, then on. And post back if this fixed it or not; if it didn’t there are other things to try.

Javascript is a website programming language that is frequently used to manage more complex site functions.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 21, 2023 9:05 AM in response to all_I_want_is_spaces

If Javascript is off that can be the problem. Go to Settings/Safari/Advanced and turn Javascript on if it is off. If it was already on turn it off, then on. And post back if this fixed it or not; if it didn’t there are other things to try.

Javascript is a website programming language that is frequently used to manage more complex site functions.

Apr 21, 2023 10:57 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Thank you very much Lawrence; indeed, this allowed the setup to proceed on the app, I just never thought to dig into the options of Safari. My default browser is Firefox and that's the only one I ever use (I tried, but was not allowed, to delete Safari from the phone).

So big thanks to Lawrence for the solution to the initial problem. To Apple generally though, this does raise a new question of why Safari is being opened when it's not the default browser. Javascript was disabled within Safari, but that should never matter if Safari is never used.

hooks.stripe.com failure when adding a credit card payment

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.