Can one still safely use with iCloud an iPad mini 2 running 12.5.7 (2023 security update)

I am replacing some of my older iOS devices. I have an iPad mini 2 running 12.5.7 (which was a special security update issued in January of 2023).

The device is considered vintage by Apple. However it still functions with the minimal set of apps I have used on it, and I am wondering if I can leave it enabled to use stuff like iCloud Notes, download already purchased Books from my library, receive verification codes etc., until I get a newer mini, or whether I should remove it from association to my iCloud-enabled devices.

I already don't use it with iCloud Music library or Apple Music turned on so it doesn't show up in my list of devices associated to the ID I use for Apple media purchases.

I mostly just wonder whether it's safe for the occasional online forays into some book download or a Notes refresh that I do now and then on the mini iPad 2. Past that I don't use the device online.

Hah, I think I may not even still have the old laptop I once used to sync iTunes music selections for this iPad mini 2. Kudos to Apple for having supported a great little iOS device for so long, even to point of including the special security update in January. I've finally got my eye on an iPad mini 6 refurb for whenever my budget can take the hit.

iPad mini 2

Posted on Apr 21, 2023 9:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2023 9:43 AM

The first generation iPad Air, iPad mini2 and mini3 can only be updated to iOS 12.5.7.

Apple ended major update support for these models of iPad in September 2019 - although they have since continued to receive occasional “point” security updates - the most recent being released in January 2023. As you are perhaps aware, these devices cannot be updated to iPadOS 13 (or any later major versions of iPadOS) as the internal hardware does not meet the minimum technical requirements (CPU and RAM) for newer versions of iOS/iPadOS.

Due to the system architecture of iOS/iPadOS, unless jailbroken, your iPad is not susceptible to traditional malware infection per-se. However, as with all computer systems, there are still vulnerabilities and exploits to which you remain vulnerable. For older devices, no longer benefiting from regular security updates, the risk of an unpatched vulnerability being exploited significantly increases.

Given that your device is well within its twilight period of update support, if ever used online - and especially if used to access financial or e-commerce Apps or services, you would be well advised to consider replacement with a more recent device - in so doing benefiting from both enhanced functionality, regular security updates and full update support.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 21, 2023 9:43 AM in response to ElizaR

The first generation iPad Air, iPad mini2 and mini3 can only be updated to iOS 12.5.7.

Apple ended major update support for these models of iPad in September 2019 - although they have since continued to receive occasional “point” security updates - the most recent being released in January 2023. As you are perhaps aware, these devices cannot be updated to iPadOS 13 (or any later major versions of iPadOS) as the internal hardware does not meet the minimum technical requirements (CPU and RAM) for newer versions of iOS/iPadOS.

Due to the system architecture of iOS/iPadOS, unless jailbroken, your iPad is not susceptible to traditional malware infection per-se. However, as with all computer systems, there are still vulnerabilities and exploits to which you remain vulnerable. For older devices, no longer benefiting from regular security updates, the risk of an unpatched vulnerability being exploited significantly increases.

Given that your device is well within its twilight period of update support, if ever used online - and especially if used to access financial or e-commerce Apps or services, you would be well advised to consider replacement with a more recent device - in so doing benefiting from both enhanced functionality, regular security updates and full update support.

Can one still safely use with iCloud an iPad mini 2 running 12.5.7 (2023 security update)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.