Wi-fi prioritization

I live in a multi-unit retirement community with many wi-fi networks. Is there a way to select which network my devices clamp onto in various areas, either by placing them in an order or by auto-joining the strongest one that I have access to in a particular area? Applies to iPad (9th generation), iPhone 13, and MacBook Pro (M2 Pro, 2023). TIA!

iPhone 13

Posted on Apr 21, 2023 9:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2023 9:28 AM

See this Apple Support document:

How iOS, iPadOS, and macOS decide which wireless network to auto-join - Apple Support

To ensure you have control over which network is selected, turn off auto-join on the networks you don't want to automatically connect to. Manually switch to those networks as needed.

On the Mac go to System Settings -> Wi-Fi -> Advanced button at the bottom -> Look at Known Networks. There is a tiny grey circle with 3 dots. Click that and you can uncheck Auto-Join.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 22, 2023 9:28 AM in response to Richard Lander1

See this Apple Support document:

How iOS, iPadOS, and macOS decide which wireless network to auto-join - Apple Support

To ensure you have control over which network is selected, turn off auto-join on the networks you don't want to automatically connect to. Manually switch to those networks as needed.

On the Mac go to System Settings -> Wi-Fi -> Advanced button at the bottom -> Look at Known Networks. There is a tiny grey circle with 3 dots. Click that and you can uncheck Auto-Join.

Wi-fi prioritization

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.