Apple Mail won't add a gmail address

When trying to add a gmail address to my MacBook Air I get this message:

Authorization Error

Error 400: invalid_request

You can't sign in to this app because it doesn't comply with Google's OAuth 2.0 policy for keeping apps secure.

You can let the app developer know that this app doesn't comply with one or more Google validation rules.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 21, 2023 12:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2024 9:46 PM

2024-02-02

MacOS 14.1 Sonoma

1) Safari > Settings > Privacy Tab > Advanced Settings > Uncheck all the checked boxes under "Privacy:"

2) Go back to mail app and add accounts normally.

3) Go back to step one but re-check the boxes that were unchecked.

The settings on 1) is only messing with logging in. But once authenticated, mail updates fine after safeguards are turned back on.

40 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 1, 2024 9:46 PM in response to Maggiellv

2024-02-02

MacOS 14.1 Sonoma

1) Safari > Settings > Privacy Tab > Advanced Settings > Uncheck all the checked boxes under "Privacy:"

2) Go back to mail app and add accounts normally.

3) Go back to step one but re-check the boxes that were unchecked.

The settings on 1) is only messing with logging in. But once authenticated, mail updates fine after safeguards are turned back on.

Jan 29, 2024 8:26 PM in response to Maggiellv

I followed the steps in the video and it still didn't work for me. I found a work around

Work Around:

• Change default browser to Chrome (haven't tried other browsers but this one worked)
  • Re-attempt to add your gmail account

** My issues was that MAC would try to authenticate through a private window. Couldn't figure out how to stop settings from defaulting to a "safari private browser." So the easiest thing to do was try changing the browser

MacOS 14.2.1

Sep 10, 2023 4:00 PM in response to Maggiellv

I couldn't add my gmail account to mail. NOW SOLVED.

Days of trying. Then this...

Go to Preferences and set your default browser to Safari.

Open Safari and make sure you are not logged into your Google account.

Go back to System Preference>Internet Accounts and add your Google Account.

The confirmation will open your default Browser Safari. Log into Your Google Account.

All done.

So easy when you rely on Apple and not Google.

OSX 10.15.7

Jan 9, 2024 9:47 AM in response to Alto sax

Cant create re add Mail

James Walker1 User level:Level 1 (129 points)

Mar 1, 2019 10:39 AM in response to if240

I was having this problem trying to add a mail (not gmail) account just for Notes. In my ~/Library/Keychains folder, I found a subfolder with a long hexadecimal and hyphens name. I deleted that subfolder, logged out, and logged back in. I was then able to add the account, without having lost any passwords from my keychains.

Apple Mail won't add a gmail address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.