Incredibly slow Macbook.

Hello! I was hoping to get some answers on what to do next. Out of nowhere my Macbook began running incredibly slow. All applications fail to respond for a long period of time before finally opening. I ran a diagnostic test, but I have no idea where to go from there.

MacBook Pro (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Apr 22, 2023 2:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2023 10:02 AM

Please determine if the same problems occur in "Safe Mode": How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support.

System Software:
macOS Big Sur 11.7.2 (20G1020)

Update macOS. To learn how to do that please read Update macOS on Mac - Apple Support.

That Mac is also hosting a torrent client. Presumably, you are aware of the risks that entails. If you are not, then remove it in accordance with its instructions.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 22, 2023 10:02 AM in response to taylor_danielle

Please determine if the same problems occur in "Safe Mode": How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support.

System Software:
macOS Big Sur 11.7.2 (20G1020)

Update macOS. To learn how to do that please read Update macOS on Mac - Apple Support.

That Mac is also hosting a torrent client. Presumably, you are aware of the risks that entails. If you are not, then remove it in accordance with its instructions.

Apr 22, 2023 10:17 AM in response to taylor_danielle

Torrents and related sharing services can cause massive network and system I/O load, can distribute messes including cracked apps containing malware, and torrent activity can cause some ISPs to throttle network activities. They’re recently one of the better ways to get hacked.

Upgrade to Monterey or Ventura, and remove the torrent and sharing services, and see if things stabilize.

Get local Time Machine or other local backups going too, if your data is valuable to you.

Incredibly slow Macbook.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.