You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My apple watch ECg keeps starting and restarting

How can I fix my apple series 8 ECG app from restarting and it does not get past 28 seconds then goes back yo 30 seconds. I have tried sll the suggestions like cleaning , reinstalling the app

Posted on Apr 22, 2023 5:50 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2023 1:36 PM

Thank you, but this did not resolve my issue either. It was working fine until it wasn't, just keeps resetting to 30 and starting again. It's not a life-critical component for me, so I can just not use this, but it is frustrating that so many users have this issue and it has not been resolved.

15 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 6, 2023 1:36 PM in response to Dah•veed

Thank you, but this did not resolve my issue either. It was working fine until it wasn't, just keeps resetting to 30 and starting again. It's not a life-critical component for me, so I can just not use this, but it is frustrating that so many users have this issue and it has not been resolved.

Feb 25, 2024 1:48 PM in response to phipps56

I was having the same problem, restarting the watch did nothing. I tried a different wrist, different fingers, a different person, and nothing worked! Finally, with extensive research, I found tips on how to fix it! I used these tips, and now it works perfectly!

The "Tips"

1. Clean the backside of the watch and digital crown using a  damp, lint-free cloth and some water. Wipe the surface and the crown with the wet cloth. Dry it afterward with a dry, lint-free cloth.
  2. Make sure the watch is snug on your wrist.
  3. Posture: Tthe proper posture in measuring your ECG goes like this – after opening the ECG app on your Apple Watch, sit upright and place your arm with the Apple Watch on a flat surface.

I followed the above 3 tips and my ECG feature is now working properly, but here are a few more tips if its still not working!

1. Restart both the watch and your iPhone
  2. Uninstall the ECG app.

To uninstall the ECG app:

• Press the digitall crown.
  • Locate he ECG app from app list, and hold down on it. (Once you do so, all of the apps will shake a little and an "X" will appear at the top left corner of all of the app icons.)
  • Tap the “X” icon at the top of the ECG App.
  • Select “Delete ECG” when prompted.

To reinstall ECG:

• On your iPhone open the Watch App
  • Cick on the My Watch tab at the bottom.
  • Scroll down and click on the Heart app
  • ECG will appear at the top with the option to install it
  • Click Install

That's it! Hopefully these tips will help you as well!

Feb 28, 2024 6:07 AM in response to iShellie

Alas, this did not work either. I have tried: uninstalling, reinstalling, hard reset, different wrist, different person, cleaning, sitting still with my arm on my lap, sitting still with my arm on a table to keep it steady, holding my breath, breathing slowly, strapping it on as tight as I could, strapping it on normally.

ECG just doesn't work out for me. :-(

Mar 11, 2024 11:16 AM in response to Jib45

So sorry to hear this! I was having all of the same problems, it was literally driving me crazy! I had tried all of the other fixes to no avail, but after doing the hard reset, cleaning the digital crown and the backside of the watch and watching my posture (keeping arm flat surface), it is now working perfectly every time! I spoke to someone else who had to take the extra step of uninstalling and reinstalling the ECG app, and afterwards their problem is fixed as well so I hoped I had discovered the answer!

There was a just a watchOS 10.4 update released on March 7, 2024, that is supposed to fix a bunch of issues, have you installed it? Perhaps that will solve the issue!

Did you also unpair and reinstall? Restart the phone also? If so, and nothing is working, perhaps it is time to contact apple support so they can troubleshoot? They are pretty easy to get in touch with these days! Best of luck! I know how frustrating it is when you do everything and nothing works!

My apple watch ECg keeps starting and restarting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.