Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

I can't open AirTags to replace batteries

I can't get my air tags open to replace batteries- all 3 of them. After trying the recommend process several times, I resorted to running a slim knife edge between the base and cover. Still no luck. Any other ideas?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

AirTag

Posted on Apr 22, 2023 6:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2023 11:38 AM

Come on now, that info is everywhere and we know the instructions. What happens if the top is stuck and will not open? I have three for 10 months and it is time to change the battery and non of them will open. I can see and understand how it is supposed to open. it does not work. the goal is to listen to the problem.

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 30, 2023 11:38 AM in response to rom.ph

Come on now, that info is everywhere and we know the instructions. What happens if the top is stuck and will not open? I have three for 10 months and it is time to change the battery and non of them will open. I can see and understand how it is supposed to open. it does not work. the goal is to listen to the problem.

Apr 11, 2024 5:31 PM in response to columbia ann

What other have described as “no budge” counterclockwise. This happened to me. I went to Batteries + Bulbs and the customer service said this is the first time they’ve not been able to undo the AirTag to put new battery in. My thought was I’ll have to go to an Apple Store that’s inconvenient to my location. But then at home, an idea occurred to me. I used the circular rubber jar gripper. Folded over so grip is on bottom and grip is on top, then turn/push counter clockwise. And it worked. Voila.

Dec 5, 2023 11:44 AM in response to columbia ann

I had the same problem with Duracell batteries not working in my AirTag. I then tried EverReady and Panasonic and both worked no problem. The AirTag has some pins it uses to connect to the positive and negative sides the batteries and there must be a coating or something that prevents a good contact. Other devices that use these batteries make their connections to the battery in a different manner. So change the battery brand to EverReady or Panasonic and you should be good to go.

I can't open AirTags to replace batteries

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.