Previous 1 2 3 Next 96 Replies Latest reply: Feb 22, 2015 4:37 PM by egadgetguy Branched to a new discussion.
m.june Level 1 Level 1
I turned on my Ipad this morning, and it seemed to be working just fine, except that there was a thick, pixilated grey bar right through my screen. I tried restarting it several times, but nothing changed. I connected it to power and it didn't go away. I haven't tried connecting it to my computer yet, as my computer is broken at the moment (not my fault, I'm just really unlucky) but I'm pretty sure this is a hardware problem, so that wouldn't help anyway. I haven't dropped my ipad, put it in heat or humidity, got water on it, put it in extreme cold or treated my ipad roughly. It stays in a case safely on my desk whenever its not in use. I have only had it for just over two months, so I am very annoyed that it has broken after such a short time. Anyone have any advice?

Ipad (not wifi)
  • Alancito Level 6 Level 6
    Welcome to the discussions. +"If something is not working right, restarting or resetting iPad will likely solve the issue."+ Read more here:

_iPad: Turning on/off and resetting_

And every iPad comes with complimentary telephone technical support for 90 days:

http://www.apple.com/support/ipad/contact
    m.june wrote:
    I'm pretty sure this is a hardware problem...

See this Apple doc:

http://www.apple.com/support/ipad/service

~ Alancito
  • Martin_UK Level 2 Level 2
    Take it back to the Apple Store and have them fix it.
  • lakeshore Level 2 Level 2
    I'm reading more and more reports of these lines across the screen. It's really starting to look like these are not isolated cases.
  • ride1992 Level 2 Level 2
    Don't know how many reports you've read, over 3 million iPads have been sold, but regardless if it were mine I'd pay a visit to the Apple store.
  • Ben Sawyer Level 1 Level 1
    I just got this same problem today. Have had my iPad for a while. Just literally picked it up off the floor by my bed to check email and it has a massive black/gray bar running the middle of the screen with some colored lines on either top/bottom side. Where are these other reports... want to see if it's a trend. Does not appear in some respects to be the screen in that you can touch icons that would be displayed otherwise. Doing a screen capture though shows a perfectly normal screen render so it's maybe not the graphics memory itself. I too did nothing out of the ordinary and we watched movies on it all day just before putting it down.
  • megmcd423 Level 1 Level 1
    I'm waondering what happened with this case because I'm having the same problem : (
  • designbyparts Level 1 Level 1

Did u find a solution for this problem?

• leannefrometobicoke Level 1 Level 1

I am now experiencing the GRAY BAR OF DEATH too!!

What was the outcome for you??  Mine is no longer under warranty...haven't gone into Apple yet...so little time!

• tunesmith82 Level 1 Level 1

My daughter's iPad (first gen) got this after about 1 year and two weeks. They offered to sell a new iPad 1 for $280 and we reluctantly took them up on it. It seems like a big flaw to me, worth recalling or covering for free ... but then they wouldn't sell AppleCare I suppose ...

I just wish AppleCare for a $500 product cost less than an added $100. 20% of product price seems outrageous for one extra year of warranty.

• mrdoozie Level 1 Level 1

this happened to me 3 weeks ago and i called apple and they are sending me a new iPad

• doshi_k Level 1 Level 1

Well mrdoozie, you're lucky. I bought an I pad in dec 2010 and had the same issue (grey,black bar about 2 inches thick just above of centre  across the screen with multicolored thin lines in some place inside the bar) develop about 20 days ago. I took it to the apple authorized service centre in mumbai, India and they said apple has not authorized anyone in India to open it and repair and given its a hardware issue  and warranty expired in december 2011 they can replace it for a cost of Rs 23,000 eq to $ 480!

I did not think it was worth it. First I did not expect apple to make hardware that could develop such kind of issues. And if it such a regular thing then they should repair or replace if it's not the fault of the user. .

So I took it back and decided I will buy a new galaxy tab instead. With samsung, don't have this kind of support issues in India.

I can't use this I pad because all the messages come in the centre and do not move up or down so get covered by he bar.

I should have realized this early when within 3 months my adapter got burnt. I ignored it. For those who may think it may be a voltage issue in my house, I charge my iPhone thro the same socket with the same chargers

• pricek01 Level 1 Level 1

Same issue, here. Just out of warranty and am told I have to pay to fix. I was also told that Apple does not consider this a known issue.

We are an educational institution and have many of these. This is the first one to have this problem, but I expect all others to fall in line soon

• ipad rob Level 1 Level 1

I've had the exact same problem, you have written almost word for word the exact same situation I'm in.

I've called Apple and of course theyre not interested, unless I'm willing to pay almost what the iPad costs to buy.  Original iPad, everything else (except wifi) working fine except for this grey stripe.  I agree with the comments below, I can't beleive Apple are knocking this back as a "not known issue".

• wisdom_seeker Level 1 Level 1

interesting! this appears to be a defect which appears after warranty is done. I have the same problem - but my Ipad was purchase Dec 2010. Suddenly overnight - I recieved the grey screen of death. This is not an isolated problem...

Previous 1 2 3 Next