Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipad screen has a massive grey bar through it??

I turned on my Ipad this morning, and it seemed to be working just fine, except that there was a thick, pixilated grey bar right through my screen. I tried restarting it several times, but nothing changed. I connected it to power and it didn't go away. I haven't tried connecting it to my computer yet, as my computer is broken at the moment (not my fault, I'm just really unlucky) but I'm pretty sure this is a hardware problem, so that wouldn't help anyway. I haven't dropped my ipad, put it in heat or humidity, got water on it, put it in extreme cold or treated my ipad roughly. It stays in a case safely on my desk whenever its not in use. I have only had it for just over two months, so I am very annoyed that it has broken after such a short time. Anyone have any advice?

Ipad (not wifi)

Posted on Aug 18, 2010 4:36 AM

97 replies

Jan 8, 2013 10:10 PM in response to m.june

Today, January 8th, 2013, the same thing happened to my iPad. Used it yesterday just fine but when I turned it on today it had the grayish colored bar with different colored stripes running across the screen. It's really disappointing since my iPad is in perfect condition. I haven't called Apple yet to see if they would fix it or replace it but I have a feeling it will cost more than it's worth. I had bought it in October 2012 so it does seem to be an issue with iPads sold during this time period. Just thought I'd add to the forum in hopes that Apple will see just how many people are having this problem

Jan 13, 2012 8:11 PM in response to leannefrometobicoke

My daughter's iPad (first gen) got this after about 1 year and two weeks. They offered to sell a new iPad 1 for $280 and we reluctantly took them up on it. It seems like a big flaw to me, worth recalling or covering for free ... but then they wouldn't sell AppleCare I suppose ...

I just wish AppleCare for a $500 product cost less than an added $100. 20% of product price seems outrageous for one extra year of warranty.

Aug 9, 2017 8:10 AM in response to m.june

I am having the same kind of problem except my lines change color, sometimes there is a lot of white with green blue and pink. sometimes vertical sometime horizontal. Sometimes I can see a little of the screen and sometimes nothing. Then the screen will turn black. Sometimes it doesn't do it for hours and other times it starts when I just turn it on. I did a soft reset and it didn't help, then I erased everything and restarted. Called Apple and they wanted me to erase everything again and not load it from my backup. I didn't do it because it's ridiculous. All the backup was on my old iPad 2 and everything worked fine. My new pro is less than a week old. So frustrating! Have an appointment at the Genius bar today. Sure hope they can fix it.

Aug 18, 2010 5:01 AM in response to m.june

Welcome to the discussions. +"If something is not working right, restarting or resetting iPad will likely solve the issue."+ Read more here:

_iPad: Turning on/off and resetting_

And every iPad comes with complimentary telephone technical support for 90 days:

http://www.apple.com/support/ipad/contact
m.june wrote:
I'm pretty sure this is a hardware problem...

See this Apple doc:

http://www.apple.com/support/ipad/service

User uploaded file

Aug 23, 2010 10:18 PM in response to ride1992

I just got this same problem today. Have had my iPad for a while. Just literally picked it up off the floor by my bed to check email and it has a massive black/gray bar running the middle of the screen with some colored lines on either top/bottom side. Where are these other reports... want to see if it's a trend. Does not appear in some respects to be the screen in that you can touch icons that would be displayed otherwise. Doing a screen capture though shows a perfectly normal screen render so it's maybe not the graphics memory itself. I too did nothing out of the ordinary and we watched movies on it all day just before putting it down.

Mar 1, 2012 2:55 AM in response to mrdoozie

Well mrdoozie, you're lucky. I bought an I pad in dec 2010 and had the same issue (grey,black bar about 2 inches thick just above of centre across the screen with multicolored thin lines in some place inside the bar) develop about 20 days ago. I took it to the apple authorized service centre in mumbai, India and they said apple has not authorized anyone in India to open it and repair and given its a hardware issue and warranty expired in december 2011 they can replace it for a cost of Rs 23,000 eq to $ 480!

I did not think it was worth it. First I did not expect apple to make hardware that could develop such kind of issues. And if it such a regular thing then they should repair or replace if it's not the fault of the user. .

So I took it back and decided I will buy a new galaxy tab instead. With samsung, don't have this kind of support issues in India.

I can't use this I pad because all the messages come in the centre and do not move up or down so get covered by he bar.

I should have realized this early when within 3 months my adapter got burnt. I ignored it. For those who may think it may be a voltage issue in my house, I charge my iPhone thro the same socket with the same chargers

May 16, 2012 3:19 AM in response to m.june

I've had the exact same problem, you have written almost word for word the exact same situation I'm in.

I've called Apple and of course theyre not interested, unless I'm willing to pay almost what the iPad costs to buy. Original iPad, everything else (except wifi) working fine except for this grey stripe. I agree with the comments below, I can't beleive Apple are knocking this back as a "not known issue".

Ipad screen has a massive grey bar through it??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.