Charging iPhone 14 plus via 5W adapter

Does charging iPhone 14 plus via 5Watt adapter rather than 20Watt adapter is better for battery life? (I don’t mean using 5W adapter always, I mean sometime like twice a week in the night).

iPhone 14 Plus

Posted on Apr 23, 2023 4:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2023 5:28 PM

Your iPhone 14 is designed to use a 20W adapter and will not be harmed by it. The charging control circuits in an iPhone are intelligent and will only take as much power as the phone needs, up to the limit of the charging adapter's output rating. I regularly use the 30W and 2-port 35W USB-C adapters for all my devices with no ill effects.

I have one minor concern about the 5W adaptor. The rating is so low it might struggle to charge the battery in a reasonable time. However this will not damage your iPhone, even if the phone is not fully charged when you need it.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 23, 2023 5:28 PM in response to Kaleaji04

Your iPhone 14 is designed to use a 20W adapter and will not be harmed by it. The charging control circuits in an iPhone are intelligent and will only take as much power as the phone needs, up to the limit of the charging adapter's output rating. I regularly use the 30W and 2-port 35W USB-C adapters for all my devices with no ill effects.

I have one minor concern about the 5W adaptor. The rating is so low it might struggle to charge the battery in a reasonable time. However this will not damage your iPhone, even if the phone is not fully charged when you need it.

Apr 23, 2023 5:41 PM in response to Kaleaji04

Does charging iPhone 14 plus via 5Watt adapter rather than 20Watt adapter is better for battery life?

No

(I don’t mean using 5W adapter always, I mean sometime like twice a week in the night).

Same answer. The 5w adapter is not better for battery life.

A fact that most users do not know......the "charger" is in the phone, not in the adapter.

Charging iPhone 14 plus via 5W adapter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.