moving mouse to ipad on sidecar locks ipad

I was having the exact same problem as @sabrinee (see her question below) - I checked my Settings on my MacBook >> Displays >> Arrange. That was the issue -- now it's fixed. My iPad needed to be to the right of my MacBook to allow the cursor to move without causing the "iPad lock" to occur.

Does "arrange" always take priority? Thanks for help!

Sabrinee's situation>>>> I've setup sidecar and i can move my window from the MacBook to the iPad. but when I move my cursor over to the iPad, the grey sidebar shows up with my cursor on it (so the iPad is registering my cursor) but as soon as I move the cursor beyond the sidebar and onto the mainscreen of the iPad, the iPad locks and the window moves back to my mac. I've turned handoff on and off and that hasn't worked. I'm up to date on latest updates. how do I fix this?

iPad Pro (6th generation)

Posted on Apr 24, 2023 9:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2023 4:02 PM

I was having this issue and was on the phone for quite a while with a senior tech trying to figure it out. Eventually we figured out it had to do with the gap on the arrange menu, thanks to this thread.

Here's what we found.

First, set up screen mirroring. Control center > Screen mirroring > (yourname)'s iPad

Then, on your Mac, go to System Settings > Displays > + > (yourname)'s iPad

If the arrangement looks like this, the locking issue will occur.

If it looks like this, it will work.

I had to rearrange my iPad to the left at first, and that's when I noticed that the screens were smooshed together. So I moved it back from the left and suddenly it just clicked in. I don't know exactly how to get it reliably to do this every time, but mess with it a bit and you should eventually be able to eliminate the gap.

I hope this helps others!!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 24, 2023 4:02 PM in response to sailing.mom

I was having this issue and was on the phone for quite a while with a senior tech trying to figure it out. Eventually we figured out it had to do with the gap on the arrange menu, thanks to this thread.

Here's what we found.

First, set up screen mirroring. Control center > Screen mirroring > (yourname)'s iPad

Then, on your Mac, go to System Settings > Displays > + > (yourname)'s iPad

If the arrangement looks like this, the locking issue will occur.

If it looks like this, it will work.

I had to rearrange my iPad to the left at first, and that's when I noticed that the screens were smooshed together. So I moved it back from the left and suddenly it just clicked in. I don't know exactly how to get it reliably to do this every time, but mess with it a bit and you should eventually be able to eliminate the gap.

I hope this helps others!!

Jul 27, 2023 6:39 PM in response to sailing.mom

I noticed the arrangement displayed in the 'screen mirroring' section must match the actual positioning of the iPad in relation to the Macbook display. My arrangement was set to have the iPad's screen to the left, while the actual device was positioned to the right of my Mac, so it kept locking every time I moved the mouse to the iPad's screen. I then rearranged the iPad's screen to the right to match its actual position.

Try matching the display arrangement according to where your iPad is positioned - right or left on your Mac screen. Hopefully it doesn't sound too confusing!

moving mouse to ipad on sidecar locks ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.