WatchOS 9.4 is eating my battery alive

Ever since updating my stainless steel Watch 4 to WatchOS 9.4 the battery is draining in about 10 hours. I used to have a battery life of almost 24 hours, so this is really bad.

I've re-paired the watch, no difference.

I've completely set it up as a new watch, no difference.

My iPhone is a 14 Pro with a fully up to date iOS.

Are there any other people that recognise this issue? And are there any solutions out there? It feels a bit like my Watch 1 and 2 again, the final WatchOS update made them unusable.

Thanks

Apple Watch Series 4

Posted on Apr 24, 2023 9:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2023 7:54 AM

Have you updated to WatchOS 9.5.1? Many are reporting much improved battery life with 9.5.1. It was released about 3 days ago. Update your watch. Then restart it. It may take a couple days for all the data to reindex, but you should see improvement.

8 replies

Apr 24, 2023 9:48 AM in response to Tonnert

If the battery drains too fast after an update, see all the replies to:

Battery Drain since watchos 7.4 - Apple Community

WatchOS 7.5 battery drain - Apple Community

FWIW, in some cases, unpairing the watch, completely erasing it, then pairing and restoring the backup will resolve the battery draining issue after an update. (Simply unpairing and pairing again may not work.)

Unpair and erase your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Also, some people have found that simply waiting a few days after an update resolves the battery draining problem.

Apr 24, 2023 11:05 AM in response to javaliga

Thank you @Javaliga, however I did already do all these things as I mentioned. It's been ongoing for a few weeks now, and the past 2 days it's especially maddening. Charging it up when getting up in the morning, putting it on my wrist with 95% charge, 8 hours later it's 19%.

I'll dig through the topics, but I'm afraid it's the end of the line again for a Watch due to a 'too heavy' OS update. This time I'm done though, not getting another Watch.

WatchOS 9.4 is eating my battery alive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.