Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

iPhone makes small data roaming traffic despite DISABLED data roaming and disabled mobile data

This is about my wife's iPhone 11 and involuntary data usage.

My wife is currently abroad, and has both data roaming as well as mobile data in general deactivated. Nonetheless, for the last few weeks her iPhone has apparently made (very small) roaming data connections, mostly 1 or 2 KB, but sometimes up to 16 KB. Sometimes several times a day, sometimes not for a few days. Every single time this happens, a fixed amount is charged.

This should not happen! I have already inquired with our mobile provider, and they maintain that these data connections were made, and are probably the iPhone itself checking for updates or whatever.

Anyways, this is very concerning. I found a similar post from half a year ago (My iPhone X makes small roaming data traf… - Apple Community), which was closed without any proper resolution, and am hoping you guys can help us more!

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Pascal

PS.: I'm absolutely sure all data is deactivated, I did it myself when we were on the plane before taking off, and I asked her to check again now that the bill came in – it's still deactivated.

iPhone 11

Posted on Apr 24, 2023 11:55 AM

1 reply

Nov 3, 2023 1:09 AM in response to asteroidshappen

Does your provider charge you for SMS while roaming? I see the same issue from a UK provider while roaming, and while it appears on the bill as a data charge, you sometimes get a message 'your 'SIM' wants to send an SMS message'. Data roaming protection doesn't apply to SMS messages, which is likely why it's getting through, and if your provider charges for SMS messages while roaming, this may be why you are getting charged (even though they see it as small amount of data - not an SMS message'.

The only way to stop this is to disable the SIM while you roam, but then, that stops you receiving calls/ SMS messages from people like your bank.

iPhone makes small data roaming traffic despite DISABLED data roaming and disabled mobile data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.