MacBook Air 2020 M1 - trackpad issues

Here's an issue and a possible solution for anyone out there with a similar problem.

I was having an intermittent problem with my new MacBook Air 2020 M1; the trackpad would freeze up periodically wherein the cursor wouldn't move, and it wouldn't respond to button presses. The freezes would last for a couple of seconds, and sometimes the cursor would jump to somewhere else on the screen. This made using the laptop an exercise in frustration, especially when editing documents, etc.

I did the usual recommendations: make sure MacOS was up to date, limit the number of programs running at login or the background in an attempt to find the cause. This didn't help, so I started looking for other causes.

It turns out I was plugging my laptop in lower wattage (iPad Pro) charger that seemed to work fine. It would easily charge my laptop when it was closed, and very slowly when I was using it.

As long as I was using the laptop and it was actively charging, I had no problems. However as soon as the charge hit 100% and the laptop was still plugged into this charger, the trackpad problem began. When unplugged from the charger, the problem disappeared.

It took a few days to diagnose this issue. If you are having trackpad problems and you are using a lower wattage or 3rd party charger, try switching back to the Apple charger or run the computer on its batteries.

MacBook Air (M1, 2020)

Posted on Apr 24, 2023 5:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2023 3:01 AM

There are a few things you can try to troubleshoot the issue with your MacBook Air's trackpad:

1. Restart your MacBook Air: Sometimes a simple restart can fix issues like this. Click on the Apple menu in the top left corner of your screen and select "Restart."

2. Reset the SMC: The System Management Controller (SMC) controls various hardware components on your MacBook Air, including the trackpad. Resetting the SMC may help resolve the issue. Here are the steps to do so:

- Shut down your MacBook Air.

- Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds.

- Release the power button and wait a few seconds.

- Press the power button again to turn on your MacBook Air.

3. Check for updates: Make sure your MacBook Air is up to date with the latest software updates. Click on the Apple menu in the top left corner of your screen and select "System Preferences." Then click on "Software Update" to check for and install any available updates.

4. Check for third-party software conflicts: Sometimes third-party software can interfere with the trackpad's functionality. Try quitting any apps you're not currently using and see if the issue persists.

5. Contact Apple support: If none of the above steps resolves the issue, you may want to contact Apple support for further assistance. They can help diagnose the problem and recommend a solution.

Hope it helps!

[Link Edited by Moderator]

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 25, 2023 3:01 AM in response to Jimby99

There are a few things you can try to troubleshoot the issue with your MacBook Air's trackpad:

1. Restart your MacBook Air: Sometimes a simple restart can fix issues like this. Click on the Apple menu in the top left corner of your screen and select "Restart."

2. Reset the SMC: The System Management Controller (SMC) controls various hardware components on your MacBook Air, including the trackpad. Resetting the SMC may help resolve the issue. Here are the steps to do so:

- Shut down your MacBook Air.

- Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds.

- Release the power button and wait a few seconds.

- Press the power button again to turn on your MacBook Air.

3. Check for updates: Make sure your MacBook Air is up to date with the latest software updates. Click on the Apple menu in the top left corner of your screen and select "System Preferences." Then click on "Software Update" to check for and install any available updates.

4. Check for third-party software conflicts: Sometimes third-party software can interfere with the trackpad's functionality. Try quitting any apps you're not currently using and see if the issue persists.

5. Contact Apple support: If none of the above steps resolves the issue, you may want to contact Apple support for further assistance. They can help diagnose the problem and recommend a solution.

Hope it helps!

[Link Edited by Moderator]

MacBook Air 2020 M1 - trackpad issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.