iCloud says my payment method has expired and to update payment

Icloud is saying my payment method has expired and is asking me to update my payment details. My question is , is this a scam.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 25, 2023 8:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2024 7:34 AM

On the settings wheel it’s flagging a 1. When I go check it says please update payment method. I’ve updated 3 credit cards and doesn’t like any of them. Can u help…?

15 replies

Mar 11, 2024 8:23 AM in response to Ruger2-Posie1

Ruger2-Posie1 wrote:

I am getting a number 1 on my settings icon about payment not going through for May storage is it real or a scam

If its in the Settings app on your iPhone, then its real.

No scammer can simply issue a system based message like that. Check your payment methods by following the steps in the support document a the top of the post you replied to.

Add a payment method to your Apple ID - Apple Support

Apr 25, 2023 8:22 AM in response to Peddlers2

Check if there's a problem with your current payment method.

Read this document about how to view your current payment types and add Apple ID payment methods on an Apple mobile device, a Mac, or a PC --> Add a payment method to your Apple ID - Apple Support

If an item appears in red then it is no longer working and you either need to replace it or get it working again.

You also don't say how you are being notified of this. Scams (e-mail, text messages, and phone calls) are getting very good at closely imitating true Apple communications. Always be cautious. Here are some guidelines:

Identifying legitimate emails from the App Store and iTunes Store - Identify legitimate emails from the App Store or iTunes Store - Apple Support

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

Avoid scams when you use Apple Cash --> Avoid scams when you use Apple Cash - Apple Support

Apple 'How to identify, avoid, and report phishing' video--> https://youtu.be/SR3Z3fXXjfw

If you are uncertain about a message and a resource provided in that message, do not click on any links in the message. Try to independently verify the resource by going to a support page on apple.com and use that to contact Apple or to verify with the service the message is telling you to use.

Jan 1, 2024 8:21 AM in response to JulieA773

Hi JulieA,

Your question is not the same and would be better placed in its own topic, particularly since this thread dates from early last year.

Read this document about how to view your current payment types and add Apple ID payment methods on an Apple mobile device, a Mac, or a PC --> Add a payment method to your Apple ID - Apple Support

If an item appears in red then it is no longer working and you either need to replace it or get it working again. Apple may require the presence of a valid payment method such as a card, even if an app is free. You won't be charged but the card has to be there and in working order.

Check this resource about what to do if your payment method is declined in the App Store or iTunes Store. Click here --> If your payment method is declined in the App Store or iTunes Store - Apple Support

- Apple is checking with your financial institution if the payment method is valid and receiving a negative response. Make sure the name and address are entered exactly as it appears on your financial institution bills and that the 3 digit CVV is correct. Check with your financial institution about the status of your card.

- Make sure your payment method is up to date or to try a different one ( If you need to change or update your Apple ID payment method - Apple Support ).

- Make sure this is one of the payment methods that you can use with your account, as listed in this support article: Payment methods that you can use with your Apple ID - Apple Support .

・Unfortunately the payment methods list is somewhat general and does include individual brands of cards (I guess there are too many and are constantly changing).

・Also read any footnotes in the document.

・If you are trying to use a payment method from another country you may encounter problems. Apple nowhere states outright your payment method must come from the same country as that to which your ID is set, but some contributors to the forum (none of us work for Apple) say—without any substantiation on Apple's part—this is the case. In fact what Apple says about international payment methods is found in If your payment method is declined in the App Store or iTunes Store - Apple Support where it says: "You might need to ask your financial institution to allow international purchases on your debit or credit card". It could be there is some other unstated requirement that raises problems such as the billing address for the card must be in the same country as your account country even if the issuer is a foreign bank. Apple does not say but usually it is easiest to just use a card from the same country as your Apple Account setting.

・Finally, note that the document only says which methods _are_ acceptable. Apparently certain types (usually a credit or debit card) _must_ also be present under certain situations such as when a subscription is involved.

If you still have problems, contact official Apple Support. Click here --> Choose your country or region - Official Apple Support Select your country, then a product. If you don't see one that handles your issue then keep experimenting with selections until you reach one that gets you a chat session or a telephone call and get the representative to redirect you.

or:

See a list of Apple phone numbers around the world, in this article --> Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

If you're in India, click on this link to read an April 2022 notice 'About billing for Apple subscriptions and media products in India' --> About billing for Apple subscriptions and media products in India - Apple Support

Additional verification that may be required when making purchases in Europe --> About billing and purchases in Europe - Apple Support

Apr 25, 2023 8:23 AM in response to Peddlers2

Where exactly are you seeing this message?

Has your payment method actually expired? If so, then the message would not be a scam.

You can always verify your payment methods by following the steps in the support document you posted from. Never use a link in an email.

If its a System message, then its accurate and you should update your payment method.

iCloud says my payment method has expired and to update payment

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.