How to force purchased streaming service to play in TV app?

I subscribe to the BritBox channel in the TV app. I'm pretty sure I never subscribed through the BritBox app, but I did download the BritBox app once upon a time, probably out of confusion.

Here's my problem: one episode of one BritBox program always tries to open the BritBox app when I try to watch it. All the other episodes open and play in the TV app, just like they're supposed to.

I've deleted the BritBox app, but now the episode tries to get me to download the BritBox app and subscribe. On the Details page for the episode the "Open In" icon appears next to "BritBox" above the Pay Episode button.

How can I force this episode to behave properly and play in the TV app?

Thanks, Victor

iPhone 13 Pro Max

Posted on Apr 25, 2023 3:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2023 6:37 AM

1. You should be able to select the episode from the BritBox Channel pages in the Apple TV app.
  2. You should be able to select the wanted/intended content provider for a show that has multiple content providers, by going to the Details page for the show or episode, then scroll down to How to Watch, then select the content provider “BritBox tv channels” there.
  3. You should be able to “reset” the show–content provider link by removing it from Up Next, then start playback from the channel pages.
  4. If the episode has an odd numbering or is actually missing from the tv channels copies on Apple’s servers, then it will not be found and only alternative content providers will be offered.
  5. For verified missing episodes of tv channels content, please contact the Apple Media Services staff.
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2023 6:37 AM in response to Victor Gavenda

1. You should be able to select the episode from the BritBox Channel pages in the Apple TV app.
  2. You should be able to select the wanted/intended content provider for a show that has multiple content providers, by going to the Details page for the show or episode, then scroll down to How to Watch, then select the content provider “BritBox tv channels” there.
  3. You should be able to “reset” the show–content provider link by removing it from Up Next, then start playback from the channel pages.
  4. If the episode has an odd numbering or is actually missing from the tv channels copies on Apple’s servers, then it will not be found and only alternative content providers will be offered.
  5. For verified missing episodes of tv channels content, please contact the Apple Media Services staff.

May 12, 2023 1:22 PM in response to Urquhart1244

Thanks for the info—sorry for the slow response!

I had already tried some of this, but I walked through all of your steps, but nothing worked.

After several frustrating exchanges with BritBox support (they seem not to have read my actual message and so kept giving me advice that didn't fit my situation) they finally told me that there was a known issue with that particular episode and it would be fixed in a future update.

I don't recall receiving any notice about an update, but when I tried to watch the episode a few days later, it played without a hitch.

Whew!

How to force purchased streaming service to play in TV app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.