Issue with MagSafe 3 Plug or Wire

As of today, the original MagSafe 3 wire that came with my 14 inch. MacBook Pro (2021, M1 Pro) does not appear to be working (not light went on and no ding from the computer). During this time, I did the following:

• Turned the computer on and off again
  • Restated the computer
  • Took out the charging cable and re-plugged it in
  • Used the other side of the MagSafe cable
  • Cleaned a little bit of dust out of the plug
  • Tried charging it in a different location.

Luckily, I bought another MagSafe 3 charger for an emergency and it definitely appears to be working. Therefore, I am wondering the following:

Do you think that there could be something wrong with my MagSafe plug on my laptop or is it more likely that the wire just stopped working due to age? I just find it kind of bizarre considering I have been very careful with both my computer and my charger since day one (back in January 2022). I never even spilled anything on it (or even stepped on the cable).

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 13.3

Posted on Apr 25, 2023 5:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2023 6:07 PM

Sounds like the Magsafe 3 cable has some sort of issue if another one is working fine with the same charger and laptop.

On the Magsafe connector on the cable, the contacts are made up of spring pins. It is possible one of those pins is stuck. Apple mentions this in their Apple Magsafe troubleshooting article:

If your USB-C power adapter isn't charging your Mac laptop - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 25, 2023 6:07 PM in response to 17001005

Sounds like the Magsafe 3 cable has some sort of issue if another one is working fine with the same charger and laptop.

On the Magsafe connector on the cable, the contacts are made up of spring pins. It is possible one of those pins is stuck. Apple mentions this in their Apple Magsafe troubleshooting article:

If your USB-C power adapter isn't charging your Mac laptop - Apple Support

Issue with MagSafe 3 Plug or Wire

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.