Notes disappeared from iPad after I turned on icloud sync

I wanted to access a note on my iphone which I wrote on my iPad. I saw my icloud wasn't synced on ipad so I turned it on. Instead of backing up iPad notes to icloud, it overwrote my notes from icloud to ipad. Now all my notes on ipad are gone.

I called customer care as suggested in previous posts and they said I have to erase everything from iPad and restore from backup.

They didn't seem confident if it would work since my icloud never had those notes even. How will a backup from icloud work?

Please help!!!

iPad Air, iPadOS 16

Posted on Apr 25, 2023 6:32 PM

2 replies

Apr 25, 2023 7:06 PM in response to nandani96

nandani96 Said:

"Notes disappeared from iPad after I turned on iCloud sync: [...]I wanted to access a note on my iphone which I wrote on my iPad. I saw my icloud wasn't synced on ipad so I turned it on. Instead of backing up iPad notes to icloud, it overwrote my notes from icloud to ipad. Now all my notes on ipad are gone.[...]"

-------

Troubleshooting Deleted Notes:

A. Some Links:

B. iCloud Settings:

Look in iCloud settings in each device, and make sure that Notes is clicked. If it is, then unclick it, and then click it again. See if is then accible.

C. Hiding Notes:

Hiding notes is not an option of the iOS (nor the macOS, for that mater).

Apr 26, 2023 4:22 AM in response to nandani96

To expand upon the advice that you have received from Apple Support…

If you have not enabled iCloud Notes, your iCloud or iTunes backup will include your locally stored Notes. As such, restoring from an iCloud or iTunes backup is both an appropriate and valid suggestion.

By contrast, if iCloud Notes is enabled, then your Notes will not be included within an iCloud Backup. When iCloud Notes is enabled on your iPad, your Notes are already stored in iCloud. In such circumstances, restoring an iCloud backup will not restore missing Notes.

Be aware that iCloud backups are incremental. If the backup has been refreshed after your Notes have been deleted, or been otherwise lost, the backup may not include the missing Notes files.

Notes disappeared from iPad after I turned on icloud sync

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.