Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar regularly crashes while sleeping.

I've had this problem somewhat consistently since updating to 12.6.5. I usually get the attached Crash Report. More recently, it has booted to a Choose WiFi page and then attempts to install software, after which it says "A critical software update is required for your Mac, but an error was encountered while installing this update." I cannot get it to move away from this page without booting in Safe Mode. After a few times of doing so the problem goes away. But still crashes almost every time it sleeps.

I've reseted SMC, PRAM, everything. No luck. I suspected it had something to do with the Touch Bar after an internet search and seeing the Bar look all glitchy (see picture). Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Apr 26, 2023 1:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2023 7:07 PM

That "Critical Software Update Required" message means that the EmbeddedOS is not able to be uploaded to the Touchbar. The Touchbar requires this software to operate (it is a mini OS for the Touchbar). Once this issue occurs, there is no way to resolve it except to fix the hardware issue and having a good Internet connection to redownload the software since Apple actually removes it from a hidden area when it fails to upload to the Touchbar. Seems like the hardware issue is intermittent since you are able to boot normally at some point.

Which part of the hardware is bad? It could literally be just about anything. The most common parts are of course the Touchbar itself (it is part of the Top Case Assembly) and the Logic Board (usually due to liquid damage). However, I have also seen the internal camera failure preventing the EmbeddedOS to be uploaded to the Touchbar (power or USB issue as both devices are likely considered USB).

Safe Mode works because it does not use the Touchbar so there is no failure to upload.

The Touchbar in your picture shows a problem, so it seems to confirm a hardware failure of some sort.

Have Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider examine the laptop to provide you with a repair estimate.

Make sure to have a good backup before taking the laptop in for repair.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2023 7:07 PM in response to arstraky

That "Critical Software Update Required" message means that the EmbeddedOS is not able to be uploaded to the Touchbar. The Touchbar requires this software to operate (it is a mini OS for the Touchbar). Once this issue occurs, there is no way to resolve it except to fix the hardware issue and having a good Internet connection to redownload the software since Apple actually removes it from a hidden area when it fails to upload to the Touchbar. Seems like the hardware issue is intermittent since you are able to boot normally at some point.

Which part of the hardware is bad? It could literally be just about anything. The most common parts are of course the Touchbar itself (it is part of the Top Case Assembly) and the Logic Board (usually due to liquid damage). However, I have also seen the internal camera failure preventing the EmbeddedOS to be uploaded to the Touchbar (power or USB issue as both devices are likely considered USB).

Safe Mode works because it does not use the Touchbar so there is no failure to upload.

The Touchbar in your picture shows a problem, so it seems to confirm a hardware failure of some sort.

Have Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider examine the laptop to provide you with a repair estimate.

Make sure to have a good backup before taking the laptop in for repair.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar regularly crashes while sleeping.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.