Black bar on my home screen

this has only shown up on my home screen, and the bar will actually rotate with the orientation (like if the bar was apart of the picture). It ONLY shows up on the home screen and no other apps, and I’m able to take a screenshot of it, so I don’t believe it is a hardware issue. I have tried turning it off and on again, and also hard resetting it, but it won’t work. Please answer soon!

Posted on Apr 26, 2023 5:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2023 6:49 AM

If the black bar appears at the bottom of the screen in both Landscape (as illustrated) and when rotated to Portrait screen orientation, then you have demonstrated that the issue is software related. If the issue related to hardware, the black bar would remain static - as the screen is rotated between orientations.

Ordinarily, a forced-restart will usually resolve an isolated software issue:

Force restart iPad (models with Face ID or with Touch ID in the top button)

If your iPad doesn’t have the Home button, do the following:

1. Press and quickly release the volume button nearest to the top button.
  2. Press and quickly release the volume button farthest from the top button.
  3. Press and hold the top button.
  4. When the Apple logo appears, release the top button.

Force restart iPad (models with the Home button)

Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.

If the problem remains unresolved, check your selected Wallpaper image. Change the selected Wallpaper to an entirely different image:

Settings > Wallpaper > Choose a New Wallpaper

Having now chosen a different Wallpaper image, does the black bar still appear on the screen?

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2023 6:49 AM in response to eliese20

If the black bar appears at the bottom of the screen in both Landscape (as illustrated) and when rotated to Portrait screen orientation, then you have demonstrated that the issue is software related. If the issue related to hardware, the black bar would remain static - as the screen is rotated between orientations.

Ordinarily, a forced-restart will usually resolve an isolated software issue:

Force restart iPad (models with Face ID or with Touch ID in the top button)

If your iPad doesn’t have the Home button, do the following:

1. Press and quickly release the volume button nearest to the top button.
  2. Press and quickly release the volume button farthest from the top button.
  3. Press and hold the top button.
  4. When the Apple logo appears, release the top button.

Force restart iPad (models with the Home button)

Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.

If the problem remains unresolved, check your selected Wallpaper image. Change the selected Wallpaper to an entirely different image:

Settings > Wallpaper > Choose a New Wallpaper

Having now chosen a different Wallpaper image, does the black bar still appear on the screen?

Black bar on my home screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.