Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

iPhone 13 Pro Max showing unread messages, when there are none

I have no unread messages in my messages app but the badge still says 128! I tried a solution from another thread and it didn't work. This is what I tried.

"How to restart your iPhone X, 11, 12, 13, or later

1. Press and hold either volume button and the side button until the power-off slider appears.
  2. Drag the slider, then wait 30 seconds for your device to turn off. If your device is frozen or unresponsive, force restart your device.
  3. To turn your device back on, press and hold the side button (on the right side of your iPhone) until you see the Apple logo."

After the iPhone restarts, go ahead and enable the Badge App Icon setting.

This did not work. Anyone able to help? Thank you.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 13 Pro Max

Posted on Apr 27, 2023 8:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2023 10:08 AM

I looked forever before I found something that actually worked. The only fix I found is to ask Siri "Read me my unread messages" she'll read out all of the lost/hidden messages that are still showing as unread. When she's done it will finally show zero unread messages.

Similar questions

109 replies

Dec 31, 2023 1:20 AM in response to awallen44

I’ve cracked it 🤘

Simply deep scroll your messages till the eternal end of messages. Then click “select messages” from “…” on top.

press read all and wait patiently. My 4076 msgs took approx 70secs to clear all.

This error usually happens when you import msgs from old device. Hit like if you find this useful

Nov 29, 2023 8:29 PM in response to Periperi4611

This was the easiest and quickest with no time wasted! Thanks a ton! 🙏😃✌️

Before trying this, I tried asking Siri to read all my messages, she started reading them one by one, but after reading almost every message, she kept asking “do you want to reply?” and I had to keep saying ‘no’ every time for Siri to go to read the next message! That was a time waste!

May 1, 2023 10:31 AM in response to awallen44

Hi there awallen44,

You'll want to start by making sure your iPhone is updated to the latest software version, which is iOS 16.4.1. You can see the currently installed version by going to Settings > General > About > Software Version. Learn more about updating your iPhone here if needed: Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

If your iPhone is updated and you're still seeing an incorrect number of badge notifications for Messages on your iPhone, go to Settings > Notifications > Messages, and turn off Badges. Afterwards, restart your iPhone using the steps you posted, and then turn on Badges again.

If the issue persists, let us know if you have any unread messages at all in the Messages app and make sure you've tapped on Filters in blue in the top left corner of the Messages app to ensure 'All Messages' are selected so that you can check for those unread messages.

Take care.

Dec 7, 2023 6:22 PM in response to aaaaahhhhhhh

YESS!!! This actually worked! I have been trying to find a solution for this for probably almost a year now!!! A ton of messages got deleted before they were read and I always had 55 notifications. This actually worked! It was a huge pain in the *** to have to tell Siri no each message but well worth it to watch the notifications drop off one by one!!!

thank you so much for this!!

Dec 14, 2023 2:17 PM in response to awallen44

I just transfers from Android to Apple and took across all my text messages. The Google Pixel had a great feature where it would block spam message and did this very well. Now those spam messages are showing as unread, 155 of them! They are also not visible in my list anywhere, however Siri can find them.

I have iOS 17.1.1 and there is no "select all", "three dots" or anything mentioned below. There are very few options available to do anything in the Apple message app. Restart also didn't fix it.

So is my only choice to sit here for a hour or so saying "No" while Siri reads out every spam message I have received for the past 5 years? Surly there is a better way. Or do I just live with 155 unread messages for the next few years...

iPhone 13 Pro Max showing unread messages, when there are none

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.